Radio Vietnam
November 21, 2017, 11:37:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1960s pop vs. 1970s album-oriented rock  (Read 5833 times)
BoxOfficeButcher
Corporal

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »

I have to say, after having listened to this station for two years now, that I prefer the lighter rock from the 1960s to the harder, fist-pumping rock from the 1970s. Of course, I like to hear Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zeppelin on Radio Vietnam, but my favorite album rock from the era are the likes of The Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, The Who, etc. because they laid the foundation for harder rock groups that were to follow while keeping the same upbeat tone as their contemporaries. I like Radio Vietnam because it doesn't leave one stone unturned. The Vietnam War Era was a very important chapter in the musical revolution that started in the 1950s and I don't think the station would be as effective if it weren't for such diversity. I just think that groups like The Association, The Beach Boys, The Buckinghams, The Foundations, The Grass Roots, The Guess Who, Jay and the Americans, The Mamas and the Papas, The Monkees, Spanky & Our Gang, etc. better represent what was listened to during the Vietnam War. I still love a lot of the harder rock and I wouldn't dare think about removing it from the station.

I also like hearing some of the softer melodies from the early-1970s on Radio Vietnam. Lobo is one of my favorite musicians from the 1970s. ME AND YOU AND A DOG NAMED BOO, DON'T EXPECT ME TO BE YOUR FRIEND, and I'D LOVE YOU TO WANT ME all register as favorites of mine from the 1970s.
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:39:40 PM »

I have to say, after having listened to this station for two years now, that I prefer the lighter rock from the 1960s to the harder, fist-pumping rock from the 1970s.
Good points, BOB.  Although popular music, even from a defined era, is very much a matter of personal taste, I have to agree with your preference in decades!  Wink  I think one of the things that makes the 60s more interesting to me is just what you allude to - the diversity of styles.  When you think about it, there may be more of a richness in genres in the 60s than any other decade:  doo-wop, rockabilly, folk, folk rock, acid rock, hard rock, Brill Building pop, soul, MoTown, British Invasion, some great movie themes, etc., etc.  You get the idea. Plus, in my mind, the 60s is technically more representative - I consider the true Vietnam Era to be 1961 (when US troop units began to arrive in-country) to 1973 (when the last US troops departed).

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
pv2ic
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »

I agree mostly that the 60's were the best, but I disagree about when the era ended.  I stand on the idea that the end of an era was when they airlifted the very last people from the embassy in 1975.  But that's just my opinion, and you know the saying about opinions...lol.

"The stars have finally run
           their fiery routes to the
           proper places, positioned
           with elegant cunning,
           possessed of noble portent"
                        -Roger Zelazny
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »

I agree mostly that the 60's were the best, but I disagree about when the era ended.  I stand on the idea that the end of an era was when they airlifted the very last people from the embassy in 1975.  But that's just my opinion, and you know the saying about opinions...lol.

That's okay.  Plenty of room for opinions on this.  Some go by the ramp-up of US involvement in 1965 to, as in your case, the literal end of the war, April 30, 1975.  I just prefer to parallel the years of US involvement in what the Vietnamese call "the American War".

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
pv2ic
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 07:28:45 PM »

Yeah, my friend got involved early on in 1964--1965 doing the brown water thing for the Navy ferrying CIA, and such up the river.  I did not even know about that until he told me...heh, heh....all black ops at the time sneaking green beanies up the river too.  I do remember reading in the newspapers that we were getting more involved much earlier, but did not pay too much attention to it at the time.  Only when my friend got drafted and I got my notice did it finally dawn on me that this was going to be the shitz...lol

"The stars have finally run
           their fiery routes to the
           proper places, positioned
           with elegant cunning,
           possessed of noble portent"
                        -Roger Zelazny
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: