Radio Vietnam
November 22, 2017, 04:54:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatars  (Read 7972 times)
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »

As I'm moving towards getting the new forums finished.  I'm tossing this out... If anyone would like to do some default avatars related to the era, let me know.  I'd like to do more including other artists and Vietnam images, popular Vets (Rocky Bleier is the next I'll do), etc. but if someone else has some time to play with them, that would be awesome.  Sweet Fro Baby! I'm looking at 150x150 pixels.  Not decided if I'm going that large on new ones (current are 100x100) but at least I'll have that size if I do.  No big deal but I like to toss things out if someone wants to contribute something.  I'm horribly bad about taking on everything without asking for help and I'm working on that at RV.  I'm finally becoming wise to the fact I can't do everything that pops in my head.  Shocked  So things like this I'm sending out for takers. hehe

=[Nix]=

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:49:51 PM »

As I'm moving towards getting the new forums finished.  I'm tossing this out... If anyone would like to do some default avatars related to the era, let me know.  I'd like to do more including other artists and Vietnam images, popular Vets (Rocky Bleier is the next I'll do), etc. but if someone else has some time to play with them, that would be awesome.  Sweet Fro Baby! I'm looking at 150x150 pixels.  Not decided if I'm going that large on new ones (current are 100x100) but at least I'll have that size if I do.  No big deal but I like to toss things out if someone wants to contribute something.  I'm horribly bad about taking on everything without asking for help and I'm working on that at RV.  I'm finally becoming wise to the fact I can't do everything that pops in my head.  Shocked  So things like this I'm sending out for takers. hehe

=[Nix]=

Let me see if I understand you.  You would like a group of 150 x 150 pixel pictures that people can select from to use as avatars if they don't want to provide their own? 

If this is the case I can probably find some or reduce some images and make some. 

Here is your first   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:01:13 AM by Huyen » Logged
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:01:32 AM »

=[Nix]=

Let me see if I understand you.  You would like a group of 150 x 150 pixel pictures that people can select from to use as avatars if they don't want to provide their own? 

If this is the case I can probably find some or reduce some images and make some. 

Yep!  If you go into Profile --> Forum Profile Information --> Personalized Picture: you can see a list of avatars listed as Actors, Music, Musicians, Vietnam.  The Actors and Music were default but the new forum has the same options (and all will be related to the site on the new forum).  I'm just looking for some variety for people to choose something. Smiley  It's what I've always used until after the Steelers game! w00t! lol So I'm just looking for some more things to add as a default that someone can use and it will probably be all users under x # of posts can use as most forums do. Smiley

Edit:  Also... add a caption for the title... like General Westmoreland in the event I don't know the association. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 12:09:20 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:10:11 AM »

Here is your second

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 12:14:09 AM »

Ok Nix, I just went and found the list of possible avatars and I can tell you what part of your porblem is.  I never knew that was there, and I suspect that no one else did either.  I think you need to set that up differently.  Rather than have a drop down menu, you just need to have the whole set of pics pop up on the change avatar page.  Otherwise, like me, most are not going to even know it is there.  Who's that guy? lol J/k Smiley
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:18:53 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 01:18:08 AM »

Ok Nix, I just went and found the list of possible avatars and I can tell you what part of your porblem is.  I never knew that was there, and I suspect that no one else did either.  I think you need to set that up differently.  Rather than have a drop down menu, you just need to have the whole set of pics pop up on the change avatar page.  Otherwise, like me, most are not going to even know it is there. 

Part of my FAQ that I'll get put together... One of the first things I'm going to do is create a new forum called "New to Radio Vietnam" for questions about the site and I'll just create a running thread on how to do things here, which will include all the new features, etc. Smiley All of us will be able to contribute to it.

Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

Im Dill The Dog, Im a Dog Called Dill

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:18:06 PM »

LOL i never knew that was there either   LOL   

and now that I have checked it out ...... what the hell is a LIMP BISKIT

Dill
 M16
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 01:54:45 PM by =[Nix]= » Logged
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 01:57:36 PM »

LOL i never knew that was there either   LOL   

and now that I have checked it out ...... what the hell is a LIMP BISKIT

Dill
 M16

They're a metal-rap band that did the theme to the last Mission Impossible movie.  Actually did a decent version of Behind Blue Eyes.

But yeah, that's the kind of stuff I'm removing on the new forum, I was basically ambiguous to it before but if I'm cleaning, I'm cleaning it all up.  Cheers!

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:56:13 PM »

Part of my FAQ that I'll get put together... One of the first things I'm going to do is create a new forum called "New to Radio Vietnam" for questions about the site and I'll just create a running thread on how to do things here, which will include all the new features, etc. Smiley All of us will be able to contribute to it.

Now you sound like a computer guy Nix.  A forum where people will ask about how things work?  I don't think so.  Sure, for more obscure things people will ask, but for the most part people will do whatever is plug and play and forget about the rest of it.  I know I am not the type of person to invest a lot of time trying to figure online things out.  If it is not intuitive where I can figure it out on my own quickly, then I am done with it.  I suspect most people feel as I do.  It has to be easy. 

In this case easy means when you go to the page to change your avatar, all options are presented right there for you to see and it is visually self explanatory.  Therefore, you need the change your avatar page to show a page full of thumbnails with a button to select the one you want.  If there is more than one page of them, fine, because the first page will let people know what is going on and they will figure out if there are more pages if they see a "next page" button. 

It has to be simple and user friendly, because not every one out here is a techno person who likes tinkering with this stuff.  In fact, the whole point is to attract people who come here fore the entertainment of it, and aren't technically minded. 
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 07:32:54 PM »

Now you sound like a computer guy Nix.  A forum where people will ask about how things work?  I don't think so.  Sure, for more obscure things people will ask, but for the most part people will do whatever is plug and play and forget about the rest of it.  I know I am not the type of person to invest a lot of time trying to figure online things out.  If it is not intuitive where I can figure it out on my own quickly, then I am done with it.  I suspect most people feel as I do.  It has to be easy. 

In this case easy means when you go to the page to change your avatar, all options are presented right there for you to see and it is visually self explanatory.  Therefore, you need the change your avatar page to show a page full of thumbnails with a button to select the one you want.  If there is more than one page of them, fine, because the first page will let people know what is going on and they will figure out if there are more pages if they see a "next page" button. 

It has to be simple and user friendly, because not every one out here is a techno person who likes tinkering with this stuff.  In fact, the whole point is to attract people who come here fore the entertainment of it, and aren't technically minded. 
Sing Along I second that emotion Sing Along  The VIP is absolutely right, Nix!  Grin

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: