Radio Vietnam
November 18, 2017, 02:22:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tracks Coming Soon  (Read 25208 times)
Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

Im Dill The Dog, Im a Dog Called Dill

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »

Hi RR, big congratulation's on your 45TH  Cheers!
and who would have thought that, the TOOTS up in Boulder, that was well spotted RR,
small world  LOL

Kindest Regards

Dill
 M16
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 09:13:52 PM »

My wife and I were up in our spiritual home, Boulder, Colorado, for the weekend as we were celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary  Shocked
-- RR

Congrats, RR!  Wow 45 years! That's awesome!!  Cheers!

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 03:00:52 AM »

I picked up the Pop Memories of the 60's recently, so I plan on getting more of that series worked in as well. Some of it is earlier 60's but thinking of more Roy Orbison, Elvis, Bobby Vinton, etc. as well as some Marty Robbins.  Sorry, love the song El Paso. Wink

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2011, 08:45:16 AM »

Sorry, love the song El Paso. Wink
That one has a wide appeal.  Part of it is the American Western theme, part of it is the classic tale of taking chances for love, part of it is the Marty Robbins styling.  I like it.  My father (WWII generation) even liked it!

BTW - early 60s fits, in my mind.  For music purposes, I consider the "Vietnam Era" to be the American involvement period, 1961-1973.  The first operational units (as opposed to strictly "advisors") arrived in 1961.  The last departed in 1973.  --although the war itself did not end until the fall of Saigon in 1975.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

UPDATE:  Okay, it pre-dated the period a bit. We'll go by when it won the Grammy!  LOL

"El Paso" is a country and western ballad written and originally recorded by Marty Robbins, and first released on Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs in September 1959. It was released as a single the following month, and became a major hit on both the country and pop music charts, reaching number one in both at the start of 1960. It won the Grammy Award for Best Country & Western Recording in 1961, and remains Robbins' best-known song. It is widely considered a genre classic for its gripping narrative, haunting harmonies by vocalists Bobby Sykes and Jim Glaser (of the Glaser Brothers) and the eloquent Spanish guitar accompaniment by Grady Martin that lends the recording a distinctive Tex-Mex feel.  [Wikipedia]

-- RR
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:02:29 AM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »

I plan on opening things a 'bit' on predated material, mostly from reading more that it was much like today, bigger songs from a few years prior didn't disappear and were still a mainstay.  It's hard since I wasn't around for that but I try to make sure it stays relevant. Smiley  I've always tried to work in a few things like that and I plan to try and expand it a bit but not to the point where it becomes a 60's station.  It will be determined on drops/likes/dislikes.  I'm also working on a playlist that I'd like to do for a few hours occasionally of 'country/western' influenced music from the era.  It may bomb but it'd be a good 2 hour list once a month like I try to work in w/the R&B list.  I have plans for doing maybe a weekly 2 hour list that alternates Country/R&B-Soul/Folk/Hard Rock mixed in but still working on how I'll handle the lists.  The lists are a monster because of the bumbers/speeches/movies.  If I didn't do those, it'd be easy but it wouldn't be Radio Vietnam. Smiley

We hit 516 tonight on Facebook page. Smiley  I had set a goal of 500 for 7/4, so that was nice to see.  Picked up 28 new fans today (WOW!), I just need to make sure they're all translating to listeners, I know, based on hours that it's been working.  So if we get even 1/4 of the fans to listen it's boosting hours and hopefully boosting VIPs. Smiley

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 01:19:49 AM »

With no  BIAS, RR, which you showed in your last message! lol  Is that OK with you?  I mean adding more 'memory' tracks from the earlier 60s to the list.  I know stuff like Tequila and a few others currently in the list weren't in the 65+ period but were you still hearing that music?  I'm only assuming that 'hits' didn't just disappear and reappear after the era. Smiley  I rely on you for that stuff, I assume you'd be bias on what you grew up on, much like I am...then I grew up in the (yuck) 80's of poor music, but as long as the tracks were still relevant, I want to start adding more of that music.  My music was Bad Company, Boston, Aerosmith, Journey, etc. but they were 70s hits when I grew up in the 80s and even today a lot of that still resonates today.  I have grown to love some of the 80s music but I know even things like U2 resonates well today and did through the 90s after The Joshua Tree.   So I just want to make sure early 60's tracks, like El Paso, were still relevant or heard In Country or in the states. Smiley

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 07:28:17 AM »

With no  BIAS, RR, which you showed in your last message! lol  Is that OK with you?  I mean adding more 'memory' tracks from the earlier 60s to the list.  I know stuff like Tequila and a few others currently in the list weren't in the 65+ period but were you still hearing that music?
The concept of "oldies but goodies" in popular music (songs from a previous era replayed for "nostalgic" reasons) dates back quite a ways - probably to the beginning of broadcast radio.  In the 60s, songs from earlier eras would be played, even as great new music was being released during that very prolific decade.  This included new, tribute music done in the style of the earlier period - like the so-called "Doo Wop Revival" of the early 60s, celebrating the earlier doo wop styles of the 50s.  All-in-all, I don't see any problem in putting in a few of those "replays" from the late 50s, early 60s - especially since, as I view it, the Vietnam Era began in 1961.

--  RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 12:17:09 AM »

With no  BIAS, RR, which you showed in your last message! lol  Is that OK with you?  I mean adding more 'memory' tracks from the earlier 60s to the list.  I know stuff like Tequila and a few others currently in the list weren't in the 65+ period but were you still hearing that music?
The concept of "oldies but goodies" in popular music (songs from a previous era replayed for "nostalgic" reasons) dates back quite a ways - probably to the beginning of broadcast radio.  In the 60s, songs from earlier eras would be played, even as great new music was being released during that very prolific decade.  This included new, tribute music done in the style of the earlier period - like the so-called "Doo Wop Revival" of the early 60s, celebrating the earlier doo wop styles of the 50s.  All-in-all, I don't see any problem in putting in a few of those "replays" from the late 50s, early 60s - especially since, as I view it, the Vietnam Era began in 1961.

--  RR

That was my intent. I don't intend on making it a staple, much like most of the later music.  Just wanted feedback from you.  I'm working on a new list soon to be released, before the site.

Sorry been fighting a freakin' sinus infection the past week.  Thought I was moving past it yesterday but it reared it's ugly head today. lol  Taking heavy antibiotics so should be over soon, I hope.  I seem to get sick EVERY damn summer.  Good in the winter but summer kills me. heh
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:49:20 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 12:50:25 AM »

Of course by saying that, I'll get sick this winter. DAMN IT!  Twisted

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 09:28:10 PM »

I agree with RR
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 11:45:06 PM »

I just discovered that our Green Beret song is sung to the tune of Wabash Cannonball.  So why not go ahead and add Johnny Cash singing the Wabash Cannonball since you like Johnny Cash Nix? 

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 08:48:29 PM »

I just discovered that our Green Beret song is sung to the tune of Wabash Cannonball.  So why not go ahead and add Johnny Cash singing the Wabash Cannonball since you like Johnny Cash Nix? 

Will do... Working from home the next week while I'm on call and hoping it's not too busy and I'll get new playlists done with PSAs and AFVN material.  I think you know that anything Johnny Cash that is suggested will make it, within reason!  Cool

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 07:28:50 AM »

" . . . to the last da-yum Green Buh-ray!"

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Radio Vietnam

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: