Radio Vietnam
September 24, 2017, 06:40:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tracks Coming Soon  (Read 23897 times)
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »

Here's one of the new tracks that I'll be adding, very powerful song that for some reason I had in a folder for the station but never added...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:57:54 PM by =[Nix]= » Logged

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:58:23 PM »

Another song that I found and love.. Smiley

I am listening to more Donovan.  Liking a lot of his songs.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:00:31 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 12:06:34 AM »

Here's one of the new tracks that I'll be adding, very powerful song that for some reason I had in a folder for the station but never added...

I'm trying to become viral and hope to start launching more when I finish things... YouTube, Twitter & Facebook.  I have a Youtube account called RadioVietnam that I'm going start doing some favorites on (and posting with that account) as well as Twitter at Radio_Vietnam.  I'll do the FB thing when I get where I want with everything else.  I'd also like to play with some video editing with these kind of songs and start using images relating to Vietnam for this, Drive On, etc.  Sweet Fro Baby!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:47:54 PM by =[Nix]= » Logged

Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

Im Dill The Dog, Im a Dog Called Dill

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »

Hi Nix , hope all well, Question.... I was just thinking that I have never to my knowledge
heard anything from the TROJAN label, and I presume that some artists would have been
played as Trojan was formed in 1968, but of cause I was not there , so don’t know !
did they ever get any airtime on the stations ?

Regards
Dill The Dog 
 M16
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:37:48 AM »

Hi Nix , hope all well, Question.... I was just thinking that I have never to my knowledge
heard anything from the TROJAN label, and I presume that some artists would have been
played as Trojan was formed in 1968, but of cause I was not there , so don’t know !
did they ever get any airtime on the stations ?

Regards
Dill The Dog 
 M16

Missed this or was this answered in the other forum? Smiley

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:28 AM »

Not sure if I'll add this but... If you think the Badfinger song sounds a lot like a Beatles song, there's a reason.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_Get_It_%28song%29

Great story and shows the amazing artist that Paul (my favorite Beatle) is considering he wrote and recorded all the instruments (not a large accompaniment but still impressive).

Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »

Hi Nix, like RR said to me, and I trust him, as I was not there, ... and not wanting to shake things up, but some of songs would have never had air time, and i respect what RR said, like i was trying to point out with RR and Trojan records, if you add this then why not some of the Trojan,
Trojan was around at 1967- but did it never got air time, which I can now relate to, or is RR wrong !
.... RR take over ..help me out,..
 I love the song , being white English, and love the 60's English era, as I do the American, but could much more reckon on a boat down some nasty back water with a group of  black African Americans playing Trojan imports, in on a rare food parcel, and on their
own record player < and LOAUD,} and not in this case a Beatles track ? not in any any way am i tyring to fight song choice
i love all music, and have no, as RR says genre in mind.  just that if you add English songs like this then could we have some of
the best of Trojan, my all time fav, Funky Kingston, by the Maytals, and if you do "PLAY IT LOUD  "  Smiley I would love to think
of some swamp boat playing it load down some back alley , just dont thing that the liverpudliens would have had the same impact  Nade  Smiley

Dill

M16
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 11:53:05 PM »

I'll have to find something or you need to provide me with some of the music, search around Youtube so I can at least review it. Smiley  Like I said, I don't know that Paul's original will make it here, I just remember first hearing the song thinking, damn that's a Beatles song and then finding out he had written it and performed all the instruments for the original take but apparently there was some issue with Apple that didn't allow him to release it w/the Beatles or solo.

So if you provide me with something, I'll take a listen.  Not everything on the station was heard in Vietnam and I know I take a hit at times for that but it's what was happening around the world, kind of like some of the Sabbath.  I don't think the station would do as well as it does if it were only the songs played in Vietnam on AFVN or if it were only the hard rock/acid rock that was played down much more in Vietnam and that's what I think makes the station unique.

Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 03:55:07 AM »

Hi Nix, thanks for the reply, only slight problem with this track is that it was not released until 73 so only just
in the eara....
and good luck with the site upgrade  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERiTX9Pa23c&playnext=1&list=PL8BF16DD1A8D79345

Regards
Dill
 M16
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 12:38:52 AM »

Hi Nix, thanks for the reply, only slight problem with this track is that it was not released until 73 so only just
in the eara....
and good luck with the site upgrade  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERiTX9Pa23c&playnext=1&list=PL8BF16DD1A8D79345

Regards
Dill
 M16

I don't mind throwing in a song like this to see how it goes since it's such a mix of things of the era.  The votes usually tell... It's pretty interesting since it's a soul-reggae mix!  Stoner  Sweet Fro Baby!  I think it's interesting for anyone to find something new from the era they grew up in too and may like. Smiley

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 01:16:58 AM »

Personally, I don’t think either one of these songs (the Maytals or the unreleased Paul McCartney) should be played here.  If the standard for the playlist  becomes “personal favorites”, then you might as well forget the Vietnam connection.  Fact is, neither one of these were ever played or listened to by the Vietnam generation.  What if I were to say, “Gee, I really dig these studio session tapes of  Phil Spector producing the Wall of Sound”.  That may be true, but my personal preference has nothing to do with Vietnam era radio authenticity.  If the only test is that it was recorded in the Vietnam era, then just about anything can appear.  Once you have gone over that line, you will never come back - and neither will listeners.  There are plenty of places other than here to indulge in esoteric personal tastes - I just pointed you to one of my own - at Rockit Radio.  I say, stick to the tried and true formula or you will lose credibility.

Dill, I can almost guarantee to you that black Americans in the 60s were not listening to the Maytals.  I doubt they had even heard of them.  They were listening to the same Soul and MoTown as everyone else.  “Funky Kingston”?  More like “I’m Black and I’m Proud” by James Brown

– and that’s not even in the playlist.  If anything offshore was brought in, it was most likely African, as black Americans were just rediscovering their African roots:

Miriam Makeba (4 March 1932 - 10 November 2008), nicknamed Mama Africa, was a Grammy Award winning South African singer and civil rights activist. In the 1960s she was the first artist from Africa to popularize African music in the U.S. and around the world.
[Wikipedia]

Hey, as Dill says, "I was there."

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:06:39 AM »

Hi RR, yes, I am going to say that I you have nailed this one for me,  I cant comment any further 
as I said from the start, I was not there, I think you are correct in what you say, but good topic for
conversation, love Mr brown by the way, another big favourite of mine,.....

Dill The Dog
 M16
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 02:39:19 AM »

Another that will make it in... I'm actually working on a 'country hour' kind of like the Soul/R&B/Motown show that I don't work in enough.  It will be occasional type of thing for both... but I'm trying to add some more country tracks.  This was fairly popular and his first big hit as 'HIM' and not his father... Smiley  The video is different but the song is from Clint's movie, Kelly's Heroes. Smiley

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 06:13:18 PM »

could we have some of the best of Trojan, my all time fav, Funky Kingston, by the Maytals, and if you do "PLAY IT LOUD  "  Smiley
Dill --

My wife and I were up in our spiritual home, Boulder, Colorado, for the weekend as we were celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary  Shocked.  While up on The Hill, that we used to frequent as students back in the day, I happened to look up at the Fox Theater (former movie house, now converted to a concert venue) and happened to see this.  Apparently somebody in the college student demographic is still paying to see your guys!  Wink

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »

could we have some of the best of Trojan, my all time fav, Funky Kingston, by the Maytals, and if you do "PLAY IT LOUD  "  Smiley
Dill --

My wife and I were up in our spiritual home, Boulder, Colorado, for the weekend as we were celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary 
-- RR

Congrats RR!  I am so proud of you Smiley
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: