Radio Vietnam
November 22, 2017, 08:35:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversion In Process  (Read 8918 times)
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2010, 01:12:50 AM »

Just a quick note that the site update is going extremely well. I have the framework and design finished and I'm working on finishing up the forum conversion but that has been speeding by (a lot of custom code used on this forum that doesn't translate well to the new one).  A lot of things that I thought I'd run into as an issue have dissipated quickly as I play around on the dev site.  I think I will be able to start on the overhaul at RV within a few weeks.  During that time the entire site will be down for up to a week while I make all the conversions and updates.  I was going to work on everything, the site, playlists, new features, etc. all at once and release it as a "package" but I've decided to STOP taking on the world and focus more on what I can do at one time.  I tend to get grand thoughts of how things should be and I want it all at once but it's generally more than one person (or at least I) can possibly do without going insane and I get discouraged and drop it all.  Embarassed  Shocked  So my first focus is getting the new front page and forums up.  I have several things to work out yet like the gallery and access integration but things are going REALLY well and I think it looks well polished for the several sustained weeks I've spent on it. Smiley

Just a quick and small preview of the forums, the front page looks the same....

Certainly a lot less green site... The header and footer are both green still (you can barely see the top in the shot)...I just thought the light colors on forums would be cleaner and easier to read, not to mention I'm really sick of just green.  Razz
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:40:15 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

AzPatriot
Radio Vietnam MVP
2nd Lieutenant

Power to Prevail

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:35:03 PM »

Thank you for the efforts in improving the experiance Nix. Look's great and it will be a much brighter forum, we just need more people posting and discussing.

Az
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »

Thank you for the efforts in improving the experiance Nix. Look's great and it will be a much brighter forum, we just need more people posting and discussing.

Az

Hopefully it will be more inviting and I'm trying to be more active. Smiley

AzPatriot
Radio Vietnam MVP
2nd Lieutenant

Power to Prevail

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »

Heard the snake bite PSA tonight Nix, glad there was some material you could use.
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:03:36 AM »

Thanks Az... I actually had that one, I've been on hiatus for a few weeks with some things that came up in life and work.  I'm hoping to be able to get moving on the site conversion again this coming week and then I'll start working on revamping the lists, music and PSA's but I did find some things that I don't I don't have that I think I can work on cleaning up. I have a few sites that I bookmarked on audio clean up as well that I'll use when I start putting new material up.  Smiley

AzPatriot
Radio Vietnam MVP
2nd Lieutenant

Power to Prevail

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 01:53:23 PM »

Good to hear Nix...we need to live'n this place up again,,way to quiet.   Rock On!
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 12:13:57 AM »

Quick update....

We're nearing the final stages of the logo design...When I go for the apparel, etc. it will be a few designs but one of them (featuring the Huey) will be the new face of the station rather than the helmet.  A helmet design will be the secondary image and part of apparel as well but I trust in RR for help with these things and I agree with his thoughts on the Huey being more of a face for the era than the 'steel pot'. Smiley  Just finishing some final details on both images.

Once that's done I'll start on the site, adding new music, playlists, station spots and as well as adding more authentic spots.  I've already been working on the music piece and the site was 80%+ done, I just need to revisit where I was at, age is hell on memory sometimes. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 12:17:09 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:16 AM »

I moved from Joomla for the front page to Wordpress this week and it's a dream to work with compared to the Joomla interface.  Not that Joomla is bad but for use on this site, it's overkill and to make small modifications to the site requires creating layers (easiest way to say it) to just add content and 10 menus.  Wordpress has so many drag and drop features that anyone could do a lot of the work.  A lot of my wants for the site will be easier to implement using Wordpress and the plug-ins / add-ons are endless. Smiley

I restarted the forum conversion project tonight and accomplished a lot in getting it to where it was on my last attempt with a lot less time and using the current forum data.  I've been 'tinkering' with it on my dev site so that I have it mastered before taking down this site for any extended period of time.  Everything worked in the first shot for the first time tonight other than a handful of items that are still on the list to fix and I have them written out except for 2 items.  I've been basically installing it, finding issues, deleting it, fixing the installation script and reinstalling it... That's in addition to not remembering where I was at on the last attempt!  I wrote a lot of notes but I wasn't very good at organizing the thoughts since I felt a bit blind in my first 2 attempts (although I got it working)... I've written out a nice order of execution so far to rebuild the forum.  Some of the issues are because this will be the 2nd time I've converted the forum (and 3rd forum used in 6 years).  Hoping this will be the last forum conversion since this one handles modules much better. Smiley

The biggest thing I'm excited about is moving away from Joomla to something much, much more manageable.  I hate updating the front page b/c of the archaic interface, granted this is an older version of Joomla and template (5 years old!!) but the newer release isn't that much more friendly.  A lot of cool stuff that can be implemented on the fly with Wordpress.  I should also be able to write custom scripts as I see fit with less fear. w00t  The Boys From Liverpool
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:16:26 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

Im Dill The Dog, Im a Dog Called Dill

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 07:48:12 AM »

Hi Nix, just spotted this on the Home Page,  station IS A dedicated

"This station is a dedicated to those who served during and fought in the Vietnam War."

Regards
Dill
 M16
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »

"This station is a dedicated to those who served during and fought in the Vietnam War."

Regards
Dill
 M16

Good eye! You'll be handy with the reworked site! Never caught that, I sometimes get caught changing thoughts midstream and I'm surprised I've not gotten that before.  Thanks for the spot! Smiley

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »

Regards
Dill
 M16

Good eye! You'll be handy with the reworked site! Never caught that, I sometimes get caught changing thoughts midstream and I'm surprised I've not gotten that before.  Thanks for the spot! Smiley

Fixed! RR usually gives me the smack down  Mini Blast'em! on things like that with the front page. Maybe he mentioned it and I missed it before. Smiley

Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

Im Dill The Dog, Im a Dog Called Dill

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »

No problem, and yes cant wait to check out the new site, 

Dill
 M16
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: