Radio Vietnam
June 28, 2017, 04:46:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Feedback  (Read 28777 times)
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:17:06 AM »

Creating this thread to find out what we should do with the station based on the front page post...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:26:34 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 02:13:51 AM »

Creating this thread to find out what we should do with the station based on the front page post...

Anyone? Have we put a nail in the coffin?  Question
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:18:55 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »

Anyone? Have we put a nail in the coffin?  Question
Have pretty much said it all before, Nix -- Freshen up the playlist with more spoken word features (a la Rat Patrol Radio) and special programming (Chris Noel programs), more pop and oldies stuff representing what was actually listened to by the troops back then (see the AFVN playlists I sent you) in addition to the album rock.  Freshen up the site by simplifying the front page and removing outdated messages, replacing the plastic army man green with more color (think of a marine uniform with ribbons) and adding graphics, improving navigation (make a direct link to the galleries), etc.

Still waiting on adoption of such ideas . . .

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 08:11:58 PM »

I'm working on a few things music related and one of them being possibly having some weekend shows from a few people that do that kind of thing.  I'm also looking at daily rewind but can't commit to that at the moment.  I need to change the way I'm running weekday playlists.  I have some other music queued up for rotation and removal of some other stuff.  One thing I've noticed is heavy pop drops listeners.  Shows like Chris are great and I have everything you provided worked in multiple times Monday - Thursday.  I have the show that's hers that runs every other weekend on one day Friday - Sunday.  I can clean up some of the content that I pick up that's open domain but a lot of it isn't near the 64kpbs and sounds tinny running at 32 or below.  I run the REAL Adrian Cronauer clips and his related stories (and get good feedback on that from the form on the station page) as well and the cleanest AFVN stuff I can find.  I've thought about doing more "oldies" but again I'm faced with listenership dropping on the current pop show.  I don't want to move to a heavier station as it started out (and probably more at it's better times) but overloading older/slower/more pop will kill it.

As for the site, I'm still working on that, I have some layouts partially finished. Forums aren't going to change much but I want to change the entire front page that I hope will be better integrated and potentially have more info if I can get contributors to post links or maybe anything going on related to the Vietnam War (more like a blog).  I know the front page isn't updated enough but I'm not sure what to add by myself.  I need to pull hooks that link the Joomla front page (dropping it) and Simple Machines Forum and use another for more of a blog front-end using WordPress.

BoxOfficeButcher
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:05:17 AM »

If by more pop-oriented music you mean Sinatra and artists like him then don't. I hate old blue-eyes. One thing you can do is add some 50's rock 'n' roll like Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Bill Haley, Johnny Burnette, Franky Lymon & the Teenagers, the Coasters, Bobby Darin, LaVern Baker, Dale Hawkins, etc. You don't have to throw tons of it into the mix, just some to spice up your playlists.
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 05:58:56 PM »

If by more pop-oriented music you mean Sinatra and artists like him then don't. I hate old blue-eyes. One thing you can do is add some 50's rock 'n' roll like Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Bill Haley, Johnny Burnette, Franky Lymon & the Teenagers, the Coasters, Bobby Darin, LaVern Baker, Dale Hawkins, etc. You don't have to throw tons of it into the mix, just some to spice up your playlists.
Welcome to the forums, Triple B!  You have an extensive and detailed musical interest - and that's a good thing.  Radio Vietnam's playlist is pretty much dedicated to songs from the decade of the Vietnam War - nominally 1965 to 1975, with the exception of a few songs released later which are about the Vietnam War (e.g., Marshall Tucker's Still in Saigon).  Because of this, and the fact that we're not a general oldies station, you're not likely to hear 50s favorites.  However, I myself wouldn't mind hearing a few songs that were played during the Vietnam years as "oldies but goodies" of that time.  Examples would be songs of the so-called "Doo Wop Revival", like Daddy's Home - Shep and the Limelites and Remember Then - the Earls.

Anyway welcome and thanks for joining in!

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
BoxOfficeButcher
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 07:53:01 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome RR! I've been listening to Radio Vietnam for quite some time now, but I'm new to the forums. I'm still just a teenager, but I've been listening to music like this with my father for quite some time. Some of my friends tease me because of my taste in music(of course, these are the kids that listen to crap like Pearl Jam/Green Day/Bullet for My Valentine/Linkin Park/ACDC/Fall Out Boy/All-American Rejects/Red Jumpsuit Apparatus/My Bloody Valentine/Jonas Brothers/Lady GaGa/Lil Wayne and stupid stuff like that. To each his own I guess). Anyways, I just thought I'd say what a wonderful job you guys are doing at managing the station, and that today's youth isn't totally devoid of good music tastes.
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome RR! I've been listening to Radio Vietnam for quite some time now, but I'm new to the forums. I'm still just a teenager, but I've been listening to music like this with my father for quite some time. Some of my friends tease me because of my taste in music(of course, these are the kids that listen to crap like Pearl Jam/Green Day/Bullet for My Valentine/Linkin Park/ACDC/Fall Out Boy/All-American Rejects/Red Jumpsuit Apparatus/My Bloody Valentine/Jonas Brothers/Lady GaGa/Lil Wayne and stupid stuff like that. To each his own I guess). Anyways, I just thought I'd say what a wonderful job you guys are doing at managing the station, and that today's youth isn't totally devoid of good music tastes.

Welcome to the Forums Box !

Don't worry about what anyone thinks of your taste in music.  We are all individuals and free to enjoy the music we like regardless of what herd everyone else is following.  The nice thing about the internet is that we aren't limited in what music we can listen too, and the music of the Vietnam era is some very good and classic stuff.  Glad you are enjoying it here  Smiley

Huyen

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 11:24:23 AM »

Love the new "Honor Banner"  Exclaim
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »

Love the new "Honor Banner"  Exclaim
I heartily agree!  Here is a similar scene from the Vietnam Era --

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:11:26 PM »

Hey Nix,

Since you messed with the graphics on the front page the Amazon search box no longer shows up on my screen.  You might want to fix that because you know I usually route my Amazon purchases through your web page so that you get your Vig.   Razz
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 02:04:57 AM »

Hey Nix,

Since you messed with the graphics on the front page the Amazon search box no longer shows up on my screen.  You might want to fix that because you know I usually route my Amazon purchases through your web page so that you get your Vig.   Razz

Really??? What the hell... I checked on FireFox, IE and Chrome.  What browser & version are you using (Click Help, About).  Also... Drop me a PM if you have a gmail account so I can add you to the edit list on songs being uploaded.  I have 46 ready for upload (actually uploaded, I'm just reviewing them one by one to check them for issues right now).

I just did a search for Iron Man 2 on those 3 browsers or are you a Mac person? haha I need to install Safari too I guess but still can't replicate if it's a Mac (and works on Safari).

The odd thing is that my revenue from Amazon has been horrible, it's not ever great other when you do the big orders but it's been non-existent and I thought I had an issue with the code, b/c they changed it a while back & I lost 2 months without realizing it but I did searches and it showed up in my Amazon account.  Google is booming thankfully but if you're doing those old orders and I'm not getting them, that SUCKS... But I'm noticing barely anything lately...used to see the book and mp3 stream gave revenue but those are missing the past several months too.

As for the graphics, the headers an improvement in your opinion?

=[Nix]=
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:16:40 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 07:12:14 AM »

Hey Nix,

Amazon is visible here.

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »

When I updated to the current version of Firefox it messed up a whole bunch of things, including my ability to watch flash videos.  After googling this I found that it was a common problem and at this time the only solution was to go back to an older version, which I did.  I still don't see the Amazon box and I have always used this box rather than go directly to Amazon.  I don't even have Amazon bookmarked because of this. 
Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

Im Dill The Dog, Im a Dog Called Dill

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 02:10:05 AM »

Hi All, just like to say that several years ago I was put straight by RR on the playlist, and I think he was absolutely right, I was not there at the time and had my own views on what was being listed to, and how wrong I was, but it was RR that put me on the right path, and as i have also mentioned in the past , yes some more real time radio clips, they really do just add that little extra touch, but how it looks is a more individual taste, it just needs to reflect the time period, and that it was here that I finally grasped "The Doors" , and I am still here some 3 years on and still listen in nearly every day during the week, and for a few hours here and there over the weekend, most weekdays for the whole day straight, love the play list, but yes some more radio clips please Smiley 

Kind Regards to All " RR, NIX, HUYEN, AZ "

Dill The Dog
 M16
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: