Radio Vietnam
November 21, 2017, 11:36:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Stuff?  (Read 48569 times)
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2007, 10:40:04 PM »

I was wondering if there is anything else people are looking for on the station?  I was thinking maybe more early 60's stuff or later 50's stuff that may have still been popular.  Since I'm doing this as a 1970 baby I don't know if I'm missing stuff earlier that may have been still getting a lot of play.

Let me know and I'll work on it.  I want to update things on the station again but I'm kind of at the end of music that I have for 65-74 so let me know!  I'm working on getting lists updated for 11/9-11/11 as well.

Sorry for my lack of attention as well... I got the other station and site up as well as working at a new job.  I also FINALLY brought up my own personal site that's been in the background for over a year at http://www.john-thompson.net this past week.  Some more personal items as well as closed stuff for family and friends.  Not completely up but started at long last... be a chance to share more of who I am.  Smiley

December should be a month of more work for all the sites outside of looking at more jobs for the new year since my contract is up in December but it's looking very promising with quite a few interviews coming up.  Wink

As always, thanks for listening and checking out the site! Smiley

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:31:47 AM »

I was wondering if there is anything else people are looking for on the station?  I was thinking maybe more early 60's stuff or later 50's stuff that may have still been popular.  Since I'm doing this as a 1970 baby I don't know if I'm missing stuff earlier that may have been still getting a lot of play.

I don't have any problem with putting in more earlier stuff.  I get the impression AFVN played earlier stuff too.  RR might night more aboutt this.  A lot of good music came out before the war.  Fun music. 

I also FINALLY brought up my own personal site that's been in the background for over a year at http://www.john-thompson.net this past week.  Some more personal items as well as closed stuff for family and friends.  Not completely up but started at long last... be a chance to share more of who I am.  Smiley

No more international man of mystery?   LOL

December should be a month of more work for all the sites outside of looking at more jobs for the new year since my contract is up in December but it's looking very promising with quite a few interviews coming up.  Wink

Good luck on the job search!  I know how frustrating this can be. 

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:33:08 AM »

[Nix]I was wondering if there is anything else people are looking for on the station?  I was thinking maybe more early 60's stuff or later 50's stuff that may have still been popular.
[Miss Saigon]I don't have any problem with putting in more earlier stuff.  I get the impression AFVN played earlier stuff too.  RR might night more aboutt this.  A lot of good music came out before the war.  Fun music.

I have made a number of requests and suggestions along these lines in the past on this board.  To recap a few genres we could hear more of :  surfing music, Atlantic label soul (not MoTown LOL), Chris Noel clips Razz (I can mostly listen in the evening and on weekends and never hear any - apparently I am not the only one, by the poll results).  I would add:  car tunes (a close relative of the surfing sound) and doo wop (still getting air time in the mid-sixties as the "Doo Wop Revival" or "oldies but goodies").  For doo wop, you can use the last two CDs of the original Doo Wop Box.  These feature releases from 1958 and forward into the sixties.  Here are some of my favorites (top picks are indicated by *) --

2. Get A Job - Silhouettes

3. Book Of Love - Monotones

4. Maybe - Chantels*

5. I Wonder Why - Dion & Belmonts*

7. For Your Precious Love - Jerry Butler & Impressions

8. You Cheated - Shields

11. Little Star - Elegants

20. Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home) - Impalas/Leroy Holmes Orchestra

23. I Only Have Eyes For You - Flamingos

24. Hushabye - Mystics*

7. There's A Moon Out Tonight - Capris*

8. Blue Moon - Marcels

11. Barbara-Ann - Regents

17. Imagination - Quotations

19. Remember Then - Earls*

. . . oh, and if I may make a request for a deletionWalk on the Wild Side Side by Lou Reed.  Why?  Here is the Songfacts description:

This song is about transvestites who come to New York City and become prostitutes. "Take a walk on the wild side" is what they say to potential customers. 

Somehow I just can't groove on that.  Plus, the song itself is just coldly boring, in a New York kind of way.  How about substituting Walk on the Wild Side, Elmer Bernstein, 1962? - also still played in the mid-60s (I used to whistle it on my way to college classes before the Army!).  Now, the Big Easy knows how to turn a trick!  Another factoid about the song - it was the theme from the movie of the same name , which starred Hanoi Jane Fonda - before she turned commie!

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 01:18:08 AM »

I just selected some titles from 1955 to 1972, trying not to duplicate anything you are currently playing.

Donna The Prima Donna.  by, Dion and The Belmonts

Walk Like A Man" - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons

Up On The Roof" - The Drifters

I Only Want to Be With You" - Dusty Springfield

Soldier Boy" - Shirelles

Twistin' the Night Away" - Sam Cooke

The Lion Sleeps Tonight" - The Tokens

Lipstick On Your Collar" - Connie Francis

Mack The Knife" - Bobby Darin

Breathless" - Jerry Lee Lewis

Come Go With Me" - The Dell-Vikings

The Great Pretender" - The Platters

The Righteous Brothers Unchained Melody

Something Stupid - Frank Sinatra and Nancy Sinatra

Can't Take My Eyes off of You - Frankie Valli

Gimme Little Sign" - Brenton Wood

The Rain, the Park and Other Things" - The Cowsills

Sugar, Sugar" - The Archies

Band of Gold" - Freda Payne

"Knock Three Times" - Tony Orlando and Dawn

"25 or 6 to 4" - Chicago

She's a Lady" - Tom Jones

"City Of New Orleans" - Arlo Guthrie

The Cover of the "Rolling Stone" - Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show

"Have You Seen Her" - The ChiLites

Hot Butter Popcorn
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 07:44:48 PM »

Here are three prime examples of the "white Italian" subgenre of doo wop.  These were being played as part of the "doo wop revival", or as "oldies but goodies", in the early to mid-sixties --

I Wonder Why - Dion and the Belmonts, 1958
There's a Moon Out Tonight - The Capris, 1961
Remember Then - The Earls, 1962

-- RR
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:40:17 AM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 03:00:07 AM »

Got it... I also came across some other stuff from the late 60's that someone I work with introduced me to (who is heavily into the music from the late 60s) and has been a great resource in showing me some of the other stuff out there that I wasn't at all familiar with that I really like, some psychedelic stuff mixed in there.

I also missed something that I am somewhat ashamed of!! LOL  As much music as I listen to spanning genres and time and how much I like later 70s hard rock, I missed Ted Nugent and Amboy Dukes with Journey to the Center of the MindHendrix Style   Heard the song many times but never realized it was the Motor City Madman and from '67 so that will get into rotation lightly on days and heavier on the overnight lists / weekends.  Did some research on him and found that he's been playing since the early 60's and was as menacing in '62 as he was in the later 70s and still today... Was kind of funny to read that stuff about someone in the early 60s.

There's more coming but that was the one I happened to catch the other day and connected the dots. heh

BTW, I have heard Hot Butter - Popcorn... I think that has to be the first techno song ever!! hehe  I can't believe someone hasn't done a hugely popular remake of it...(maybe there is a remake but not popular enough for me to hear... heh) 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:25:04 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: