Radio Vietnam
September 22, 2017, 02:36:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Song Requests  (Read 21128 times)
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2007, 05:53:15 PM »

Nix --

Here are a couple I would like to hear:

My Back Pages
The Byrds

Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)*
Peter Sarstedt
*I know this makes me a dork - but I don't care - I LIKE THE SONG-!  In fact, as long as I'm in dorksville, I might as well throw in . . .

Love Theme from Phaedra (from the movie Phaedra - pulsating, sexy - favorite on the juke box in the 3.2 bar I frequented before dropping out of college to join the Army!)
Mikis Theodorakis

More - Theme from Mondo Cane (memorable music from the first of the "Mondo" series of Italian films)
Kai Winding

Somewhere My Love (Lara's Theme) (from Dr. Zhivago - we used to listen to it in the barracks at basic training and dream of Julie Christie!)
Maurice Jarre

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 05:56:03 PM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:43:08 PM »

Somewhere My Love (Lara's Theme) (from Dr. Zhivago - we used to listen to it in the barracks at basic training and dream of Julie Christie!)
Maurice Jarre

Lara's Theme is nice.  I have the soundtrack on CD.  Good film.  A rare case where the film is better than the book LOL
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »

I believe I have a few and a few that I've not heard of but I may have them somewhere on one of the billboard discs..  I'll work on it in the next rotation.

shaveddown bigfoot
Vietnam Veteran
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 01:25:48 PM »

wow just found your station and man what a trip!!! ya made me go out and dig out my old footlocker thats been buried in the shed out back for the last 23 years..what memorys anyways i was wondering if you could play some Herb Alpert and the TJ brass...maybe TJ taxi ,or the loney bull or the spanish flea??? thanks for the music and bringin back my lost youth!!! SEMPER FI jamus [ IMAGE NOT SHOWN - GUESTS CANNOT VIEW ATTACHED IMAGES ] Go Marines!
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 08:53:08 PM »

wow just found your station and man what a trip!!! ya made me go out and dig out my old footlocker thats been buried in the shed out back for the last 23 years..what memorys anyways i was wondering if you could play some Herb Alpert and the TJ brass...maybe TJ taxi ,or the loney bull or the spanish flea??? thanks for the music and bringin back my lost youth!!! SEMPER FI jamus Go Marines!
Welcome to the station, Bigfoot!  Smiley Yeah, Radio Vietnam is pretty much about the memories for many of us.  --Except for the younger listeners, where it's "everything old is new again"!  I believe we have some TJ Brass in the playlist, but Nix, the station manager, will need to confirm.

-- Radio Researcher

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Casey
Private

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:54:30 AM »

how about 'the long and winding road' from the Beatles

'summertime' from Joplin

'wind cries Mary' from Hendrix

more Righteous Brothers tunes

'Gentle On my mind' by Glenn Campbell

Warriors, thank you for your service, past and present

I'm the one who has to die when I die, so let me live the way I want to
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »

how about 'the long and winding road' from the Beatles

'summertime' from Joplin

'wind cries Mary' from Hendrix

more Righteous Brothers tunes

'Gentle On my mind' by Glenn Campbell

Warriors, thank you for your service, past and present
I'm pretty sure I've heard at least a couple of these.  I think what we need is a link to the current playlist, so we know if something is already in play.  It'll also show the wealth of good VN tunes we have here.

How about considering that among station enhancements, Nix-??? (our webmaster/station manager)

. . . and thanks for the appreciation, cd!  Hope you like what you do hear!

-- Radio Researcher

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 01:13:52 AM »

Glen Campbell, Beatles (lots of Beatles including LaWR), Hendrix (lots of him too and TWCM) are there.  I'll see what I have going from the Righteous Bros, I think I have about 4 of their tracks up and I know I don't have Sumertime up right now.  That's the thing about doing variety... you get hit either way! heh  If you don't have enough people want more, if you add it then the tunes people want to hear get spread out a lot more.  Embarassed

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to get Sumertime up in the next round and check on the Righteous Bros songs I have up.  Cheers!

And ... Merry Christmas! Smiley

shaveddown bigfoot
Vietnam Veteran
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 11:06:05 PM »

hey nix.... my last 2 brain cells were just scheming on each other and they came up with some MAMAS AND PAPAS, grateful dead, the who and for the country fans how bout bob wells and the texas playboys, willy neilson and waylon jennings or my be asleep at the wheel..all i can say is keep up the good work your doin it sure does make the long nites go by faster!!! many thanks... mike
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 11:32:32 PM »

hey nix.... my last 2 brain cells were just scheming on each other and they came up with some MAMAS AND PAPAS, grateful dead, the who and for the country fans how bout bob wells and the texas playboys, willy neilson and waylon jennings or my be asleep at the wheel..all i can say is keep up the good work your doin it sure does make the long nites go by faster!!! many thanks... mike

I definitely agree that Bob Wills is still the King Smiley   Waylon and Asleep at the wheel may be a bit out of the station era I believe. 

I am not sure how Nix feels about country music, but I believe that AFVN had diffferent shows to accomodate different audiences, so they probably had a country show sometime.  I have no problem with throwing some in the mix Smiley

Thank you for your service to the Republic of Vietnam Bigfoot!

Welcome Home Smiley
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 01:38:35 AM »

I got quite a few of these in here. Smiley  As for country... I have Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Jerry Reed, Glenn Campbell (cross-over at least) and Johnny Wright's Hello Vietnam (song from Full Metal Jacket during the haircuts).

As for Waylon, I have a TON of him... I'm a Johnny Cash freak and Waylon, Hank, Jr. and Merle follow that up along with Willie. Smiley  I'll have to see what I have that fits since his first recordings go back to the mid 60's (with greased short hair & all like Willie.. heh).  I can think of a good one for the station that probably fits in there called " I'm A Long Way From Home" from Nashville Rebel that I first heard when Shooter Jennings re-did it for Walk the Line (if you saw the movie, he's playing it when Johnny is asking Waylon (played by Shooter) about the phone before his long walk to June's.

He actually did several Beatles covers in the 60's and The Man of Constant Sorrow (made popular by Dan Tyminski/Soggy Bottom Boys on O Brother, Where Art Thou? and quite a bit different).  One of the things about Johnny, Waylon and Hank Jr. is they did a lot of covers of rock, folk and older country songs and did a good job of mixing them together. Smiley  His most popular from the 60's is probably Only Daddy That'll Walk The LineShe's a Good Hearted Woman, Ladies Love Outlaws, Honky Tonk Heroes came out sometime in the early 70's but I'll have to see when.  Sorry, I'm sure no one came here for Waylon trivia! hehe 

As for some of the other stuff, I thought that I had My Back Pages in there but I didn't find it current or archived.  That as well as Peter Sarstedt, Herb Alpert (The Lonely Bull) are added as well as : Amboy Duke's (Motor City Madman  Jammin' Guitar) Journey To The Center Of The Mind, Thunderclap Newman's Something in the Air (not sure how I missed that since I love the Easy Rider soundtrack) and some psychedelic stuff.  Stoner  I'll grab a few more off here as well that I can find.  I also need to hit the post with the early-mid 60's requests.  That should add a good mix of a little of everything and refresh the station for the first time in a while. Smiley

Please vote on songs in the player, I can use that to tell what's not doing well and I can replace them.  In this process I did kill a few dozen songs as well to make room.  I should have over 20 new songs up in rotation this weekend.  Sweet Fro Baby!

As for the full list of songs, I don't like to have that out  here for reasons of protecting my thoughts in selection.  Confused

Thanks for all the suggestions!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:41:22 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 05:27:11 AM »

Today is dedicated to RadioResearcher... It has several of his songs added (more to come) and the Chris Noel program starting at 7AM EST.  Shocked

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 09:12:41 AM »

Today is dedicated to RadioResearcher... It has several of his songs added (more to come) and the Chris Noel program starting at 7AM EST.  Shocked

I have noticed some additional funkyness    Sweet Fro Baby!

To RR   Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:17:54 AM by Huyen » Logged
stoirmeil
Private

Trust anyone under 30?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 03:26:17 PM »

This station is fantastic!  Am in danger of believing I am 17 again, reeling from the loss of MLK and Bobby Kennedy, and just getting my honorable discharge from high school . . .

I have been listening heavily for some days now and getting an idea of your rotation, but have not heard the Association's "Requiem for the Masses", or anything of Vince Guaraldi, especially "Cast Your Fate to the Wind." (He was the guy that did all those jazz piano soundtracks to the Peanuts animated specials in the mid to late 60s, very dear to some of us.)  Would be good additions, if you can get them.

But you gave me Janis and Jimi, you gave me Santana and B,S and T, Phil Ochs and Johnny Cash -- the whole spectrum.  I'm impressed as hell.
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 05:43:27 PM »

I have been listening heavily for some days now and getting an idea of your rotation, but have not heard the Association's "Requiem for the Masses", or anything of Vince Guaraldi, especially "Cast Your Fate to the Wind." (He was the guy that did all those jazz piano soundtracks to the Peanuts animated specials in the mid to late 60s, very dear to some of us.)  Would be good additions, if you can get them.
Welcome, Ms Stoirmeil!

Hey, anybody that digs "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" and Vince Guaraldi is a friend of mine.  I used to whistle "Cast Your Fate", going to and from class on the college campus, pre-Vietnam (hey, it's better than dope!).  It was one of my repertoire - which also included "Love Theme from Phaedra" by Hank Mancini, and "Walk on the Wild Side" by Elmer Bernstein.  We need them all on this site (NIX - are you listening?).  I also dig Vince's Charlie Brown suite - have a cassette tape that is part of the regular Christmas sound track at our house (and in the car).

-- Radio Researcher

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: