Radio Vietnam
September 24, 2017, 06:38:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RESCUE DAWN  (Read 6908 times)
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2007, 11:53:14 AM »

New Werner Herzog film, based on a true story, being released this month.  See the movie trailer below . . .

[ IMAGE NOT SHOWN - GUESTS CANNOT VIEW ATTACHED IMAGES ]

-- Radio Researcher
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:57:34 AM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 04:34:20 PM »

Looks great... I have liked most of Christian Bale's movies and this looks equally good. Smiley  Thanks for the info, not seen the trailers for this.  IMDB shows that it opens on July 27. Go Air Force!

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 07:17:04 PM »

I saw the film this week and give it high marks.  The story, direction, photography, musical scoring, and acting are excellent.  I often carry high expectations into a movie that I have looked forward to, only to experience subtle disappointment, hoping to see something redeeming to reverse the disappointment.  Not needed in this case.  I often measure a film but the extent of distraction or boredom that creeps in.  None occurred in this case.

This is the story of Dieter Dengler, a German-born US Navy pilot who acquired a fascination with flying watching American pilots bombing and strafing his village to rubble at the end of WWII.  But, the power and swiftness of air technology lifted him out of his circumstances and he committed to a life in flight.

On his first mission in the early days of the Vietnam war, a secret one to be plausibly denied, he crashes in a Laotian rice paddy.  He attempts evasion of local unfriendlies by applying what he has learned about jungle survival, but is soon captured.  He is tortured and taken to a small prison compound at the foot of jungle-covered mountains, home of a ragtag group of fellow prisoners - a US Air Force pilot and a strange mix of American and indigenous Air America (CIA) people.  They are starving, half-mad, and resigned to their circumstances (as are their guards).  Dingler's still-fresh determination that he will not rot in this place galvanizes the others in an escape attempt.  The balance of the film covers the seemingly impossible trek through impassible jungle, monsoon swollen rivers, Pathet Lao, and consistently unfriendly villagers.  This is based on a true story (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Dengler)

[ IMAGE NOT SHOWN - GUESTS CANNOT VIEW ATTACHED IMAGES ] [ IMAGE NOT SHOWN - GUESTS CANNOT VIEW ATTACHED IMAGES ]

The story and dialog are sparse - but efficient.  The lushness of the tale comes from the fine treatment of the jungle setting and the human component sucked into it - somewhat like Apocalypse Now!, but with better acting and more intelligent directing.  Overall, a fine flim.  See it if you get the chance.

-- Radio Researcher

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: