Radio Vietnam
November 22, 2017, 04:52:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RED ALERT -- FIGHT INCREASING MUSIC ROYALTY RATES-!  (Read 18241 times)
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 06:18:04 PM »

Mine say that they will "Keep my concerns in mind" if it comes to a full vote.  I love Politics.   Frown
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 02:48:10 PM »

Okay troops, it appears that internet radio has received a temporary reprieve as Congressionally-spurred negotiations continue between webcasters and recording industry rep SoundExchange.  Bottom line:  Radio Vietnam will not go silent on Sunday.  Grin The following is the latest breaking news.  However, this situation is very volatile  Frown and those interested should check in at the Wired Blog Network's Listening Post for constant updates:  http://blog.wired.com/music/save_net_radio/index.html

We ain't out of the Ho Bo woods yet!   M16

-- RR

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small And Large Webcasters Face Different Risks

By Eliot Van Buskirk July 13, 2007 | 3:22:35 PM Categories: Save Net Radio

SoundExchange's executive director Jon Simson said yesterday, "For the [webcasters] who want to comply with the law and are in bona fide negotiations with us, we don't want those people to be intimidated. And we don't want them to stop streaming.  That's just so long as they're continuing to pay under the license they had."

There's been confusion in the webcasting community about what this means for webcasters that were not party to the CRB or congressional hearings (as in, not part of the "bona fide negotiations").

Here's the deal, according to SoundExchange.  Payments under the new rates are legally due  on Monday, but no lawsuits are going to be meted out on that day for webcasters who do not pay, as negotiations continue.  Fees that are not negotiated away will still be due retroactively -- plus interest.

Small webcasters who are in compliance with SoundExchange's reporting requirements could continue to pay the same fees that they currently do -- but only if small webcaster rates remain the same as they were under the Small Webcaster Settlement Act of 2002 (10 percent of gross revenue up to $250,000 or 12 percent of gross revenue above that amount).  This deal, which seems likely, would be good until 2010.

Large webcasters face a different challenge.  The good news for them is that minimum per-station fees are capped at $50,000, saving Pandora and other personalized radio services from paying out billion dollar fees.  However, for large webcasters, SoundExchange is not negotiating the royalty rates set by the CRB for each song played to each listener.

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
AwesomeSaturniana
E1 Private

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 08:32:47 AM »

Here is the latest summary status on the House and Senate bills from the Library of Congress Thomas system (full details for the House version may be found at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HR02060:@@@L&summ2=m&).  Unfortunately, I don't see a vote coming up in the next day and a half.  Frown

H.R.2060
Title: To nullify the March 2, 2007, determination of the Copyright Royalty Judges with respect to webcasting, to modify the basis for making such a determination, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Inslee, Jay [WA-1] (introduced 4/26/2007)      Cosponsors (129)
Related Bills: S.1353
Latest Major Action: 5/4/2007 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property.

S.1353
Title: A bill to nullify the determinations of the Copyright Royalty Judges with respect to webcasting, to modify the basis for making such a determination, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Wyden, Ron [OR] (introduced 5/10/2007)      Cosponsors (4)
Related Bills: H.R.2060
Latest Major Action: 5/10/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

-- Radio Researcher
Thank you for this summary, this information is very important from my point of view. Thanks again for sharing it here.

AzPatriot
Radio Vietnam MVP
2nd Lieutenant

Power to Prevail

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 01:46:57 PM »

Here is the latest summary status on the House and Senate bills from the Library of Congress Thomas system (full details for the House version may be found at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HR02060:@@@L&summ2=m&).  Unfortunately, I don't see a vote coming up in the next day and a half.  Frown

H.R.2060
Title: To nullify the March 2, 2007, determination of the Copyright Royalty Judges with respect to webcasting, to modify the basis for making such a determination, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Inslee, Jay [WA-1] (introduced 4/26/2007)      Cosponsors (129)
Related Bills: S.1353
Latest Major Action: 5/4/2007 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property.

S.1353
Title: A bill to nullify the determinations of the Copyright Royalty Judges with respect to webcasting, to modify the basis for making such a determination, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Wyden, Ron [OR] (introduced 5/10/2007)      Cosponsors (4)
Related Bills: H.R.2060
Latest Major Action: 5/10/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

-- Radio Researcher
Thank you for this summary, this information is very important from my point of view. Thanks again for sharing it here.

I was like damn what is happening...then I noticed a 4 year old thread....crisis averted.  Stoner
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »

I was like damn what is happening...then I noticed a 4 year old thread....crisis averted.  Stoner
LOL  Uh, yeah, AZ.  A blast from the past early days of internet radio.   Rockin'

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »

Uh, yeah, AZ.  A blast from the past early days of internet radio.   Rockin'

-- RR

Ah yes, those were the days back during the big fight.  It is hard not to get nostalgic for the struggle.  The camaraderie on the barricades, making Molotov cocktails, singing patriotic songs, the feeling of everyone united together in the fight for victory.  Those were times when we all felt like we had purpose..........    LOL
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »

Uh, yeah, AZ.  A blast from the past early days of internet radio.   Rockin'

-- RR

Ah yes, those were the days back during the big fight.  It is hard not to get nostalgic for the struggle.  The camaraderie on the barricades, making Molotov cocktails, singing patriotic songs, the feeling of everyone united together in the fight for victory.  Those were times when we all felt like we had purpose..........    LOL
Do I hear the faint strains of the Internationale?   . . . or in the vernacular of the 60s and our dear radio station, "Take it to the streets, maaaaannnnnn!"   Stoner

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Radio Vietnam

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: