Radio Vietnam
November 18, 2017, 02:19:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RED ALERT -- FIGHT INCREASING MUSIC ROYALTY RATES-!  (Read 18203 times)
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:06:59 PM »

I was taking a little R&R over at DestinationDooWop and a rather scary transmission came over the set this morning.  As of March 2, music royalty rates are being raised for internet radio stations, with a minimum payment of $500/station/year.  What's more, this is retroactive to January 1.  If you care about  RADIO VIETNAM  and internet radio in general, I encourage you to monitor the traffic on this breach in the wire at http://www.savenetradio.org/crb.html.  From there, US citizens can relay a message to their Congressional Representative and sign a petition.  It only takes a few minutes.  I even included a copy of the Columbus Dispatch article on  RADIO VIETNAM  to show the importance of  RADIO VIETNAM  to Vietnam Vets.

Yours in continued good listening from the Vietnam era,

Radio Researcher
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 02:15:04 PM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »

Thanks RR for the post.  I got an e-mail this week that I hadn't put up yet, but I will now.  I also added a link on the front page.  This is where VIP listeners come in also.  If you're not already a VIP listener, these changes may change the amount of open non-VIP slots I can provide to reduce the cost.  VIP listeners will not be effected by these possible changes outside of the 8 hour pop-up asking if you're still there.  The fees are outrageous and unbelievable.  I guess the RIAA is tired of going after the deceased, children and grandmothers without computers and turning their attention to people who actually pay royalties.

http://www.live365.com/choice

Here is what Live365 has suggested for Broadcasters:

What You Can Do
Recommended Immediate Live365 Broadcaster Changes

• SWSA and other Broadcasters may want to consider lowering their non-VIP maximum listener cap via the Station Info Page to help reduce fees owed to SoundExchange.
  • Broadcasters should take advantage of Live365's VIP bounties and rewards by visiting www.live365.com/broadcast/rewards/bounty-buttons.live. VIP listeners MAKE YOU MONEY. Broadcasters receive $1.50 bounty per sign up and credits for VIP listening. Professional broadcasters receive a 20% bounty and 3x the credits for VIP listening. VIP listeners do not count towards your billed TLH or listener cap!

Here is the e-mail:

IMPORTANT: Visit www.live365.com/broadcasterchoice for changes that immediately affect your broadcast.

Dear Live365 Broadcasters:

Recently, the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) made an initial ruling of alarmingly high new royalty rates for Internet radio for the 2006-2010 period. The ruling increased sound recording royalties by 140% over the next 4 years and included a $500 minimum fee per station per year. The CRB is now rehearing our arguments against these unrealistic fees, but we must keep the pressure on.

With around 10,000 stations the previously released rates would mean an additional $5 million per year owed by Live365 and our broadcasters. Should this decision stand, most small webcasters on Live365 would be driven out of business and listeners would lose diversity in radio programming and choice in radio content.

We've created a special broadcaster webpage that has tools and information to help. This new page includes congressional addresses and contact information, sample letters, a broadcaster story submission form, details on changes we will be making to the Live365 services, and more.

Please check it out at www.live365.com/broadcasterchoice.

Though the CRB is rehearing our arguments, you still must make your voice heard by the lawmakers on Capitol Hill. Call, write, e-mail, and/or visit your Representatives and Senators today!

We will continue to fight for a realistic ruling and will work with our broadcasters, audiences, partners, and DiMA to appeal with the DC Court of Appeals if our motions are not granted.

You, Live365 Broadcasters, are our voice. Our voice must resonate to be heard and to save Internet radio. We've weathered this storm before and will do so again!

Sincerely,

Jason Stoddard
Director, Broadcasting
Live365 Inc.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 11:43:32 PM by =[Nix]= » Logged

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:19:07 PM »

OK, so I have sent letters to my US representatives.  I did not choose to sign any online petitions nor use any online links for this task for several reasons. 

It is my belief that there is more impact with elected officials when a constituent takes the time to address an issue personally.  Clearly joining in with others on a computerized form is better than nothing, but I believe the stand alone correspondence will make more of an impression.  I also believe that the inflamed rhetoric used by some activist sources dilute the message, and perhaps, can turn some people off.  Corporations represent a significant portion of our economy.  Many jobs are dependent on them and corporate pension funds impact the financial markets in significant ways.  And all this affects normal, everyday people.  Why do you think that Congress has bailed out major corporations like Chrysler and Lockheed in the past?  Congress has no choice but to take corporate positions into consideration.  It is naive to think otherwise.  And we must also remember that broadcast radio is what it is (Giant) because it appeals to a mass audience.  If it didn't, it wouldn't be there.  So we also must avoid criticizing the listening habits of the masses. 

I encourage everyone to do their part to help save internet radio, but I encourage you to do it in a reasoned way that is likely to elicit a positive response. 
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 06:33:24 AM »

I agree, Huyen, however I think people should take whatever steps they want to in order to engage and defeat what's at stake for the stations.  If it's writing congress, as I have already, and signing the petition (which I agree aren't always the best but still make a stand) then so be it. Smiley  I want everyone to write congress most of all (it only takes a few minutes) but the petition is one of those "it can't hurt" mentalities that takes about 10 seconds and I fully support that as well.

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 03:25:10 AM »

Remember that Tuesday, June 26 is the day of silence for programmers so there will be no Radio Vietnam as it may be on July 15 if they do not approve the The Internet Radio Equality Act.  Please take the time to drop your congressmen/congresswomen a message and let them know what internet radio and Radio Vietnam mean to you.  VIP listeners will have normal programming since you're paid subscribers (as far as I know).

http://www.savenetradio.org/
http://www.live365.com/choice/
http://www3.capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/issues/alert/?alertid=9738601

Thanks! Flag Waver!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 03:27:37 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 04:29:35 AM »

One item on this... If (and I'm hoping it's a big if) the bill doesn't go through I should find out what they're asking for as royalty rates through January 2006 (how they're allowed to impose something in March 2007 and backdate it to January 2006 is beyond me and criminal, much like the electric company deciding what you paid for 13 months isn't enough and charging for those months) I'll post it and let you know what the ridiculous charge is.

One of the PSAs that I have been reviewing to run on Tuesday was not very encouraging about the number of congressmen who had signed on.

The good news is companies such as Yahoo! with Launch is suppose to also take part in the silence and some other larger companies, I'm sure these companies have other motives since some of them are terrestrial giants but I don't care as long as they're signing on to support the stop.

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 09:37:21 AM »

I prepared new letters to my Congressional representatives this morning and encourage every listener who is a US citizen to do the same.  For our international listeners, we hope we can carry the battle for you.

We can only hope that enough consciousness raising on this subject occurs and that a sense of fairness prevails among lawmakers.  Good luck to everyone who has an interest in Radio Vietnam.

-- Radio Researcher

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 10:31:17 PM »

We can only hope that a sense of fairness prevails among lawmakers.
-- Radio Researcher

Because this happens all the time?Huh

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 09:23:56 PM »

A good news article from today at Boston.com.

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 12:05:25 AM »

Was reading today in a few forums on Live365 that if The Internet Radio Equality Act isn't passed that Live365 will probably cease to exist after July 15.  Not very good news and not that the station could continue to operate if the fees are imposed regardless.  The site will continue to exist if this does happen, however the music may be gone.  I've also registered www.thevietnamwar.org which is currently redirecting to Radio Vietnam and may be the source for people to continue their discussions.  I'm really hoping that the legislation is passed and this could be a good platform for the democrats who were elected to "balance" government do just that since republicans are accused of taking the handouts and cutting big business a break.  Otherwise it's a wash and in my opinion, proves there is no balanced government.

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 07:31:19 AM »

Was reading today in a few forums on Live365 that if The Internet Radio Equality Act isn't passed that Live365 will probably cease to exist after July 15..  The site will continue to exist if this does happen, however the music may be gone.
For music afficianados like me who get most of their music from streaming audio over the internet, this will be a major loss if the legislation doesn't pass.  Well, we have done what we can do.  Now it's just a matter of waiting to see the outcome.    Rockin'

-- Radio Researcher

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 11:32:32 PM »

Here's what I found on http://www.savenetradio.org ... Some clips about the hearings at YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FF3353FEB1DFE08A

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 08:21:48 PM »

Since I've been attempting to keep everyone in the broadcaster loop, here's the latest e-mail from Live365 to broadcasters:

Hi Live365 Broadcasters,

As the clock winds down during this final week before the July 15th deadline, I wanted to update you on Live365's service plans and our continued activities to oppose the unsupportable new sound recording royalty rates set by the CRB.

In answer to the top question on broadcasters' minds: we have no plans to shut down on July 15th when the billions in per channel minimums and significantly higher rates come due, unless forced to by SoundExchange.

We believe Congress and the public share our outrage over the fundamental inequity in performance royalty rates. Why is it that terrestrial radio pays NO royalties and satellite and cable radio pay much lower royalties than Internet radio to SoundExchange? Many artists have also contacted us to voice opposition to new CRB rates that will decimate Internet radio and eliminate their chance to be heard. The momentum of public opinion and business sense is on our side and we plan to continue to fight for artists, webcasters and their audiences until a resolution is found.

In the meantime, let us assure you: webcasters covered under the Live365 SoundExchange license will not be responsible for any retroactive fees. Upon resolution of the new rates, Live365 will honor its obligation to provide advance notice of any change in pricing with the option for you to continue services or not, prior to imposition of any increases.

Here's what's going on this week on the negotiation, legal and legislative fronts.

First, negotiation has been proceeding slowly even though SoundExchange has been requested by Congress to negotiate with webcasters. I am in Washington D.C. this week with other SaveNetRadio Coalition partners to make myself available for face-to-face negotiations with SoundExchange. We'll keep you posted.

Second, we are continuing with litigation. Although the D.C. Circuit Court just denied our Petition for Emergency Stay of Payments under the new rates, as was expected, we will vigorously proceed with our appeal.

Third, we are still actively pursuing Congressional cosponsors and support of the Internet Radio Equality Act. The bill would throw out the unrealistic CRB internet radio rates and replace them with those paid by satellite radio.

All of us have worked hard to protect the medium that we love. Broadcasters have spent amazing amounts of time and money on PSAs, website updates, interviews, testimonials, letters and calls to Congress. Thank you all for your valiant efforts. In turn, Live365 has invested countless hours of staff time and cash from testifying in the initial hearings over a year ago to our current presence in D.C. As the largest supporter of independent artists through their primary fans—our webcasters, Live365 will continue the battle until there is a resolution. We will continue to fight for parity and fairness as well as be the voice of reason! We firmly believe that we are on the right side of history.

Please stay tuned!

All the best,

Mark Lam
CEO, Live365

P.S. It helps tremendously to have you in front of the media telling your story. Remember that SaveNetRadio.org has a great tool to help you contact your local media. Please check it out!

Also, be sure to visit www.live365.com/broadcasterchoice for more up-to-date info on Live365's continued activities to oppose the unfair CRB royalty rates (broadcaster log-in required).

=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 11:17:29 PM »

Received this a while ago from SaveNetRadio.org:

IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED FOR THURSDAY, JULY 12TH

Greetings,

Time and options are running out for Internet Radio.  Late this afternoon, the court DENIED the emergency stay sought on behalf of webcasters, millions of listeners and the artists and music they support.

UNLESS CONGRESS ACTS BY JULY 15th, the new ruinous royalty rates will be going into effect on Sunday, threatening the future of all internet radio.

We are appealing to the millions of Internet radio listeners out there, the webcasters they support and the artists and labels we treasure to rise up and make your voices heard again before this vibrant medium is silenced. Even if  you have already called, we need you to call again.

The situation is grave, but that makes the message all the simpler and more serious. 

PLEASE CALL YOUR SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES RIGHT AWAY and urge them to support the Internet Equality Act.  Go to http://www.capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/alert_9738601.html to find the phone numbers of your Senators and Representative. 

If they've already co-sponsored, thank them and tell them to fight to bring the bill to the floor for an immediate vote.  If the line is busy, please call back.  Call until you know your voice has been heard. 

Your voices are what have gotten us this far - Congress has listened.  Now, they are our only hope.

We are outmatched by lobbying power and money but we are NOT outmatched by facts and passion and the power of our voices.

Again, please go to http://www.capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/alert_9738601.html to find the necessary phone numbers and make the call today.

Thank you,

The SaveNetRadio Campaign

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 10:13:46 AM »

Here is the latest summary status on the House and Senate bills from the Library of Congress Thomas system (full details for the House version may be found at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HR02060:@@@L&summ2=m&).  Unfortunately, I don't see a vote coming up in the next day and a half.  Frown

H.R.2060
Title: To nullify the March 2, 2007, determination of the Copyright Royalty Judges with respect to webcasting, to modify the basis for making such a determination, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Inslee, Jay [WA-1] (introduced 4/26/2007)      Cosponsors (129)
Related Bills: S.1353
Latest Major Action: 5/4/2007 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property.

S.1353
Title: A bill to nullify the determinations of the Copyright Royalty Judges with respect to webcasting, to modify the basis for making such a determination, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Wyden, Ron [OR] (introduced 5/10/2007)      Cosponsors (4)
Related Bills: H.R.2060
Latest Major Action: 5/10/2007 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

-- Radio Researcher

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: