Radio Vietnam
November 22, 2017, 05:08:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New (Old) Music Requests  (Read 6295 times)
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:00:52 PM »

Nix --

I wouldn't mind hearing more classic soul  Sweet Fro Baby! on the station.  You mentioned once before that you had tested a block of R&B, I think.  I missed it that time around and never heard it again.  Could you please mix in a few more soul tracks?  This was a huge element of the in-country club sound in Nam and every band played it - even more than British, acid, folk, or hard rock, which tended to be more in recorded form.  Here is a Philippine soul band at the Americal EM club that I posted once before (I think it got dropped in the conversion).

For a starter classic soul play list, here is a reprint of one I posted previously:

Other great artists of this era include Carla Thomas ("Baby"), Arthur Conley ("sweet Soul Music"), Percy Sledge ("When a Man Loves a Woman"), Sam and Dave ("I Got Everything I Need"), Eddie Floyd ("Knock on Wood"), and Joe Tex ("Papa Was Too").  Note that most of these artists recorded on Atlantic and other labels - NOT MoTown, which put out good stuff - but was more homogenized and over-produced, for cross-over taste.  Gimme the raw edge any day.

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 03:17:39 AM »

For a starter classic soul play list, here is a reprint of one I posted previously:

Other great artists of this era include Carla Thomas ("Baby"), Arthur Conley ("sweet Soul Music"), Percy Sledge ("When a Man Loves a Woman"), Sam and Dave ("I Got Everything I Need"), Eddie Floyd ("Knock on Wood"), and Joe Tex ("Papa Was Too").  Note that most of these artists recorded on Atlantic and other labels - NOT MoTown, which put out good stuff - but was more homogenized and over-produced, for cross-over taste.  Gimme the raw edge any day.

I have a few of those in now...I'll see if I have the others on compilations. Smiley  The Soul blocks I do are usually on the weekends, which may be why you missed them.  I'll throw up one this Monday around 10AM EST and another on Friday around 6PM EST.  Usually easier to get those in at the beginning or end of the week since I try to do the 100 hour list through the week.  Sing Along

I am trying to come up with another way to update music weekly but it's tough to go in and do playlists weekly.  I was running 16 playlists during the week and it got crazy if I didn't have the time to update regularly or have the time, which took a good portion of time to keep each one running at a different time each week.  So you'd always here the same thing on the same day at the same time if it didn't get updated.  With the current it rotates well and I typically get it started at different times each week so it's easy to update a single list.  It also allows all the songs to get mixed in somewhere. 

Like I said I'll get those up this week and I try to do special broadcasts off and on but usually weekends... I'll see what I can do with a Monday morning time slot and a repeating one on Fridays in the early evening/late afternoon for different stuff each week...much easier to edit several lists than 20+ per week. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:23:52 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:23:04 PM »

The Soul blocks I do are usually on the weekends, which may be why you missed them.  I'll throw up one this Monday around 10AM EST and another on Friday around 6PM EST.

I may have to try to catch them on the weekends.  Our system at work is now blocking access to Live365.  I guess "they" must have decided it was using up too much in system resources - or something!  Of course, "they" haven't blocked the radio tuner feature of Windows Media Player yet, but that doesn't do much good in getting RVN.

I am trying to come up with another way to update music weekly but it's tough to go in and do playlists weekly.  I was running 16 playlists during the week and it got crazy if I didn't have the time to update regularly or have the time, which took a good portion of time to keep each one running at a different time each week.

I'm not sure I follow all the techie fine points of managing playlists, but it sounds like it would be a chore to mix in some more Soul here and there.  That's okay - maybe in the future you could add a few tunes to the mix as time and energy permit (requested:  Atlantic label artists; MoTown in overexposed and too crossover).  Thanks.

. . . oh, and then there's always the perennial favorite /
(you know)                                                              /
                                                                              /
                                                                              /
                                                                              /

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:27:28 PM »

Nope...not a biggie to add more... I have quite a bit mixed in the general list... probably a good 10-15% of the music is soul/r&b.  I was just saying to mix in a full playlist of soul/r&b in the middle of the week  is a bit difficult, but as I said I'll start with one on Monday morning and Friday afternoon this coming week.  Cheers!

Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: