Radio Vietnam
September 24, 2017, 06:44:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Christmas Song Means the Most to You? [Off-Topic Vietnam]  (Read 4615 times)
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2006, 03:00:06 AM »

And why?  Or maybe there isn't a reason.

For me I love the song O Holy Night when done right.  I think my favorite version (non-Vietnam Related) is by Josh Groban.  The song is incredible, by about any artist I've heard but this guy has a freakin' voice... Obviously if you believe in the Christian Christmas, it means a lot...It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth in the lyrics.  Outside of one's religious belief, the arrangement of this song is incredible... The highs, the lows, the ... OK, I'll stop going on. hehe

Also... Garth Brooks has a song (not on a Christmas Album) called Belleau Wood on Sevens regarding Christmas in World War I.  The Battle of Belleau Wood was during June 1918 but it's still an awesome song.  Maybe there was another in WWII but the WWI battle is fairly prominent.

I love Trans-Siberian Orchestra as well with the heavy guitars too...most of their stuff. Smiley

As for Vietnam era... it's been no secret that Dean Martin is one of my favorite artists of that time frame... Not on playlists but another of my favorite singers. Smiley Elvis is also one of my favorite Christmas artists... yeah these are really outside of my Radio Vietnam roots of Hendrix and Morrison but Christmas is different and either way, Elvis is king baby. hehe  Hail To The King, Baby!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 03:24:52 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:25 AM »

And why?  Or maybe there isn't a reason.

For me I love the song O Holy Night when done right.  I think my favorite version (non-Vietnam Related) is by Josh Groban.  The song is incredible, by about any artist I've heard but this guy has a freakin' voice... Obviously if you believe in the Christian Christmas, it means a lot...It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth in the lyrics.  Outside of one's religious belief, the arrangement of this song is incredible... The highs, the lows, the ... OK, I'll stop going on. hehe

Also... Garth Brooks has a song (not on a Christmas Album) called Belleau Wood on Sevens regarding Christmas in World War I.  The Battle of Belleau Wood was during June 1918 but it's still an awesome song.  Maybe there was another in WWII but the WWI battle is fairly prominent.

I love Trans-Siberian Orchestra as well with the heavy guitars too...most of their stuff. Smiley

As for Vietnam era... it's been no secret that Dean Martin is one of my favorite artists of that time frame... Not on playlists but another of my favorite singers. Smiley Elvis is also one of my favorite Christmas artists... yeah these are really outside of my Radio Vietnam roots of Hendrix and Morrison but Christmas is different and either way, Elvis is king baby. hehe  Hail To The King, Baby!

I go more by genre than by individual song, when it comes to Christmas musical taste.  It's an odd combination, but each has its place, depending on the moment and the mood:  For traditional church music, I prefer the German carols (especially preceded by church bells).  For fun seasonal fare, I like Christmas doo wop.  For musical production, I like (as you know) Phil Spector's Christmas album from 1963.

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: