Radio Vietnam
September 24, 2017, 04:25:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something I don't see here...  (Read 9910 times)
pv2ic
Sergeant

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2006, 07:25:54 AM »

Go Army!

I never see anyone talk about what it was like when they came home...

Tell me...

I was spit on and called the worst things you can think of,  even threw rotten eggs at me...just my 2cents..

Took me a long time to get over that, and I was a REMF

Jeep

"The stars have finally run
           their fiery routes to the
           proper places, positioned
           with elegant cunning,
           possessed of noble portent"
                        -Roger Zelazny
pv2ic
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:32:06 AM »

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I'm pissing and moaning--but I did need to get that off my chest...I know guys that will carry that hurt a lot longer than I will...

"The stars have finally run
           their fiery routes to the
           proper places, positioned
           with elegant cunning,
           possessed of noble portent"
                        -Roger Zelazny
RadioResearcher
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 06:14:20 PM »

Gotta say, I didn't have that kind of homecoming experience.  There just wasn't much of an experience at all.  I reenrolled in college in 1971 to pick up where I left off when I dropped out.  I admit, I was kind of wondering what the student reaction would be to a Vietnam vet - but it turned out okay.  I didn't really feel discriminated against by students or faculty - just four years older than the other students.  Of course, the newly grown beard and longer hair may have had something to do with it!

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Elcabong
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 09:42:23 AM »

M16 Sorry Bro ! welcome home be safe out there  I have not walked in your shoes but I would follow you  good luck in life  Hail To The King, Baby!
shaveddown bigfoot
Vietnam Veteran
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 09:04:05 PM »

ok be warned i dont talk about this much Exclaim when i can home  they carried me off the plane at NAS North Island San Diego where i was transported to Balboa navel hospital where i was then fitted for my brand new hi tec goverment issue wheelchair... it was one step above a lawnchair on castors... and 45 days latter i was release from the  marines..i put my alfas on and started my new life... i think the thing that bothered me the most was as soon as my butt hit the wheelchair somehow i lost 50 IQ points and somhow i was somesort of retatrd{NO OFFENCE} people wouldnt look at me and when they did they would  you could see the look of shock in there face... ive only had one person get in my face and tell me i got what i deserved by helping to kill my fellow man. i went to rehab at the VA for about 3 years before the finnal verdict came in ....so i took my big bottle of pain pills and went home and hid away for the next 30 something years and did my very best every day to forget the worst and the best day of my life... the worst cause i lost the use of my legs and the best cause 3 of my fellow marines made a litter and carred me back... 3 guys ive never saw before but i owe my life to them... to the 3  guys that saved my bacon all i can say is thank you and SEMPER FI ...so thats about it i guess it was really no big deal i guess my case is just a case of life goes on and everyday we all get a bit older till well all be just a foot note in some old history book and our blood and sacrafice wont really mean much as the years goes on were just the old, forgoten,crippled and in the way... im sorry if i offend any one with this comment its just the way i see things... mike
RadioResearcher
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »

ok be warned i dont talk about this much
Well, Mike, you are among friends here and are welcomed to talk as little or as much as you want. Smiley Some will understand and others will at least be respectful.

i guess it was really no big deal i guess my case is just a case of life goes on and everyday we all get a bit older till well all be just a foot note in some old history book and our blood and sacrafice wont really mean much as the years goes on were just the old, forgoten,crippled and in the way... im sorry if i offend any one with this comment its just the way i see things
Yeah, it's tended to be that way all too often for old soldiers in the past.  --But that's changing, hopefully.  Certainly your fellow vets remember.  --And, don't forget, a lot of Radio Vietnam listeners weren't even alive during the Vietnam war, but have a personal interest in it for any number of reasons.  They are learning something from voices like yours . . . and will pass on the legacy.

Happy New Year  to us all. Cheers!

--RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
shaveddown bigfoot
Vietnam Veteran
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »

hey everyone happy new years and heres the toast{ Flag Waver! may the winter  wind blow a little  softer and warmer, the spring bring us light and cheerful hearts, the summer be a time to be together with family and friend for picnics and cookouts and finnally the fall may all of our good works and deeds comeback like a bountiful harvest} Cheers! mike Go Marines!
Casey
Private

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 10:45:11 AM »

Bigfoot,
I was born in 72, so have no experience like you have.

Thank you so much for your service, I am so grateful for those true warriors (combat veterans)  as yourself.  I am also grateful for the brotherhood that carried you back and saved your life.

Flag Waver! Go Marines!

I'm the one who has to die when I die, so let me live the way I want to
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »

Thank you so much for your service, I am so grateful for those true warriors (combat veterans)  as yourself. 

Oh yes.  I have been very remiss, but sometimes it is hard to know when to interject something in a conversation between vets, Bigfoot and RR share a common experience which I did not, and when it is best to be polite and silent. 

Mike.  Thank you for your service to the Republic of Vietnam.  You sacrificed quite a bit in the defense of freedom for those who did not have the power or ability to go it alone.  For this I am truly grateful!  While no words I could ever say can make up for your loss it is important for you to know that those of us who love freedom really appreciate you and what you did. 

Semper Fi Marine!

Welcome Home!

-Huyen
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: