Radio Vietnam
November 22, 2017, 05:04:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your fav songs of this era??  (Read 49563 times)
Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

Im Dill The Dog, Im a Dog Called Dill

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2011, 05:35:45 AM »

sweet Huyen , well the hell you find that  Cool

Dill the Dog
 M16
Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2011, 03:27:39 PM »

No one ever commented on Funky Kingston or 54-46, by The Maytels , both before 73
and I just think Funky Kingston is a great track ... what do you think,
could it not be considered for the play list ? NIX .......

Dill The Dog
 M16
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »

No one ever commented on Funky Kingston or 54-46, by The Maytels , both before 73
and I just think Funky Kingston is a great track ... what do you think,
could it not be considered for the play list ? NIX .......

Dill The Dog
 M16

Okay, I gave them a listen, Dill.  It's not that they aren't good tracks or anything (if a person is open to that genre of music).  The problem is:  they were never given airplay in this country back in the Vietnam era, were never charted, and, basically, were totally unknown to the population that actually experienced the period (I confess I've never hear of these before).  So, they're not representative of the era.  Also, we play "a mix of pop, rock & R&B" here (along with a handful of Vietnam tribute songs recorded after the war).  I might think the theme from the movie "Walk on the Wildside" is just great (especially by comparison to that Lou Reed thing!  Razz) - or that Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" is just the coolest - but I would never expect them to be on the playlist here . . . and they were given airplay back in the day!  --Nor would I think the two Christmas soul tunes I posted in the "Christmas in Vietnam" thread would be appropriate for the regular rotation.  They're not representative.

What you have here is what was predominantly listened to on the radio and purchased on records by the Vietnam generation in this country (the USA) or "in country" (Vietnam), whether in uniform or not.

-- RR
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:12:51 PM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »

Hey RR, totaly understood, good reply ...,
and Take Five, could listen to that AaaLLL Daaayyyy, Daddy-O  Jammin' Guitar
and for good measure some Gene Krupa .... Grin

Dill The Dog
 M16

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:09:09 PM by Dill The Dog » Logged
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »

Hey RR, totaly understood, good reply ...,
and Take Five, could listen to that AaaLLL Daaayyyy, Daddy-O  Jammin' Guitar
and for good measure some Gene Krupa .... Grin

Dill The Dog
 M16

If you dig West Coast jazz of the 60s, might I suggest:  The station "Forever Cool" on Live365!   Cool

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »

Dill the Dog
 M16

Well, since I know that I am not the only one who is not so fond of Bob Dylan I just assumed there would have to be some kind of parody of him on Youtube that I could tease RR with.  I went lookng I found one  LOL
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2011, 08:10:59 PM »

Dill the Dog
 M16

Well, since I know that I am not the only one who is not so fond of Bob Dylan I just assumed there would have to be some kind of parody of him on Youtube that I could tease RR with.  I went lookng I found one  LOL
SACRILEGE, PURE SACRILEGE !!!  To make fun of such a great poet that way . . .

. . .  LOL

-- RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
AzPatriot
Radio Vietnam MVP
2nd Lieutenant

Power to Prevail

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2011, 10:27:08 PM »

Dill the Dog
 M16

SACRILEGE, PURE SACRILEGE !!!  To make fun of such a great poet that way . . .

. . .  LOL

-- RR

Might be because I have a dark side, might be because I am a California boy...but as poets go RR I will take Jim Morrison over Dylan. I think Dylan had great  stories don't get me wrong...there has always been something with his voice that just does not do it for me.
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2011, 01:46:31 AM »

Hi Nix, with regards play list, I like some others I feel sure would like to find a few more to add, but would need to see the full play list to suggest any new songs, can we have access to the list ?

Regards
Dill   
 M16

Sorry Dill, maybe I'm a bit superstitious about that but I don't divulge the entire track list.  It's my 11 herbs and spices. lol  Actually, there have been others that have brought up competitive Vietnam Era stations over the years after I feel I created something special and unique that's kept us where we're at with listeners and hours, so I'd rather just get feedback and suggestions. I'm always open to things and if I have it, I'll let you know and if not, I'll see what I can do with regards to getting it worked in. Wink  Hang in there with us, the revamped lists/AFVN promos/movie tracks will come in March.  We have a few special things planned in the next few months for music and authenticity. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:54:28 AM by =[Nix]= » Logged

Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »

Hi Nix, no problem, I did not think that request through, I totaly understand,

Dill The Dog
 M16
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2011, 02:42:36 AM »

Yes, Dylan's singing is an acquired taste, but not his song-writing.  More importantly, he is emblematic of the era - especially for anyone who was in college in that era, as I was (both before and after the Army).  My all-time favorite of his remains --

Nothing like good, rolling blues that carries you with it.

As one commenter put it --
I don't know exactly what it is -- and I can't explain it to people who -- don't "feel" his music. Either you get it or you don't. Mysterious.

-- RR

I have it pulled to add to the rotation. 

BTW, to all listeners, this is how the station grows.  I love all kinds of music and consider myself somewhat proficient in a lot of genres but I've learned SO much in 6 1/2 years that it's mind blowing considering it's been around for up to 45 or more years.  Lots of stuff that I've added are songs I hadn't heard, I didn't grow up in the era (was born in it) but I run into people all the time that talk about songs they remember well or areas of the country they grew up in that played this or that and share with me experiences or what songs or the music means to them and I do my best to work that in.  I worked with someone a few years ago for a few months that grew up listening to a lot of psychedelic stuff based around San Fran, and it was really interesting to hear the stories about the music he grew up listening to and loved.  That brought a new dose of that to the station of songs when I picked up a disc set he suggested and I added some songs he commented on and others that I liked.  It's where I discovered Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes, which growing up in the 80's and rebuking anything 80's, Ted was a music God from the 70's for me but I never realized Journey to the Center of the Mind was him.  I heard the song before but didn't realize it was The Great Gonzo! hehe  So, to make a long story short, it's nice hearing what people love with regards to the era and some stories behind it.  I think that's what makes us unique and while it's a large part popular music with a big dose of diversity, it's also a nice dose of who our listeners are, without musical boundaries.  People suggest songs from that feedback button all the time and I learn more about the music.  I receive a lot of feedback from the feedback page on Live365 and I only wish I could get more to traverse here to share stories and I'm hoping that will happen more soon. Smiley 

Radio Vietnam

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: