Radio Vietnam
November 22, 2017, 05:09:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your fav songs of this era??  (Read 49566 times)
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2011, 05:08:22 PM »

I define the Vietnam era for the US as from 1954, when the Americans got seriously involved, unitl April 1975, with the biggest emphasis music wise being from 1961 to 1973 as this was the time of substantial US personnel in Vietnam.  Obviously radio stations will reach back and play music from a previous era.  AFVN played stuff from the 50's through the current music of that time.  So for me, most of the music should come from 61 to 73, but I don't think it would be out of bounds to reach further back for some stuff and sparingly play stuff from 73 to early 75 as well.   

The out of era stuff with a Vietnam theme, like "Still in Saigon" and "Goodbye Saigon" doesn't bother me, but it has to directly relate.  Playing Bruce Springsteen just because he mentions Saigon isn't good enough to be included as far as I am concerned. 

My opinion. 
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »

I define the Vietnam era for the US as from 1954, when the Americans got seriously involved, unitl April 1975, with the biggest emphasis music wise being from 1961 to 1973 as this was the time of substantial US personnel in Vietnam.  Obviously radio stations will reach back and play music from a previous era.  AFVN played stuff from the 50's through the current music of that time.  So for me, most of the music should come from 61 to 73, but I don't think it would be out of bounds to reach further back for some stuff and sparingly play stuff from 73 to early 75 as well.   

The out of era stuff with a Vietnam theme, like "Still in Saigon" and "Goodbye Saigon" doesn't bother me, but it has to directly relate.  Playing Bruce Springsteen just because he mentions Saigon isn't good enough to be included as far as I am concerned. 

My opinion. 
Concur.  --and, speaking on behalf of Huyen  Grin, and myself, it wouldn't hurt to have some more pop-rock in there . . . you know, Nix, like "Downtown".  Grin

-- and for Pete's sake - my perennial request - get rid of the gawdawful Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side".  Razz

--RR

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2011, 11:57:40 PM »

My opinion. 

Is there something specific you're talking about?  I have 3 songs that are in that are out of era, the two mentioned and Cash's Drive On.

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2011, 02:55:58 AM »

Is there something specific you're talking about?  I have 3 songs that are in that are out of era, the two mentioned and Cash's Drive On.

Nothing specific.  Just offering concept feedback.  Obviously things should rotate in and out amnd around.
AzPatriot
Radio Vietnam MVP
2nd Lieutenant

Power to Prevail

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »

My opinion. 
Concur.  --and, speaking on behalf of Huyen  Grin, and myself, it wouldn't hurt to have some more pop-rock in there . . . you know, Nix, like "Downtown".  Grin

-- and for Pete's sake - my perennial request - get rid of the gawdawful Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side".  Razz

--RR

I am really funny about what I like in that era:

- Love the Hendrix, Airplane and the psy music. Also can't have too much of The Doors
- Can't stand Dillion and don't care for too much of the folky music.
- Love the early 70's Chicago, 3 Dog Night, Looking Glass
- Ambivalent on the Motown...really comes down to each individual song.
-Pop music...geez, not sure i even know what pop music was back then..What the Monkey's...maybe 3 Dog Night and Chicago were pop.
Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

Im Dill The Dog, Im a Dog Called Dill

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2011, 12:26:43 PM »

Thanks RR, I think that answers the question, sort of a shame that it was not picked up on in the US
that early as there are some great tunes in that period up to 74 , I will have to ask NIX if he can lever
the odd one in , how about "54-46 thats my number" or Funky Kingston, both by Toots ! and both before
73 ... what do you think, would thay have not both been PLAYED LOUD .........

Dill The Dog
 M16
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »

- Love the Hendrix, Airplane and the psy music. Also can't have too much of The Doors
-Pop music...geez, not sure i even know what pop music was back then..What the Monkey's...maybe 3 Dog Night and Chicago were pop.

I generally agree with the above.   Don't like Dillon at all.  Don't like most of the folk stuff but some of it I do, like "the night they drove Dixie down" and some others.  I like a lot of Motown. 

Pop would be things like "Downtown" by Petula clark, Loco Motion, the twist, all the beach music, and even the Beatles. 
AzPatriot
Radio Vietnam MVP
2nd Lieutenant

Power to Prevail

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »

I generally agree with the above.   Don't like Dillon at all.  Don't like most of the folk stuff but some of it I do, like "the night they drove Dixie down" and some others.  I like a lot of Motown. 

Pop would be things like "Downtown" by Petula clark, Loco Motion, the twist, all the beach music, and even the Beatles. 

Ok got it...i do like the Mama's & Papa's i guess that would be consiered folk...double agree with you on Dillion...while i appreciate hsi songwriting...(it is very good) his voice just rattles me a bit ..like ive run over a cat or something.
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »

Okay, here is the lonely vote for Dylan (sheesh!  spell his name right, you young whipper-snappers, by crackey!)   LOL

Hey, maybe you had to have been there . . . maaaannnn!  - Stoner  There's nothing like listening to "Like a Rolling Stone", while driving cross-country with college chums to Washington, D.C, to attend . . . . .

. . . . . the National Convention of the Young Americans for Freedom!*   Flag Waver!

-- RR

*For those of you too young to know, that was a conservative youth organization.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:46:02 PM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »

*For those of you too young to know, that was a conservative youth organization.
Yes, we protested, too.

"Where's my protest soundtrack, man?" . . .   

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:06:32 PM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2011, 12:46:38 PM »

I will give you a second on the Dylan, RR, but sorry I like ”walk on the wild side” 

Dill
 M16
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2011, 09:43:52 PM »

I'll give Dylan the current deciding vote and say yes.. Smiley  no doubt that he's an acquired taste but probably one of the best song writers of all time.  I remember when I was younger I really didn't like him but I started listening to more and found a lot of other songs that the radio just didn't play, quite a few featured on here, that I just thought were great.  I believe what I have are on his multi-disc collections but still some good stuff from those that you don't hear typically.  Can't say that I like much of his newer stuff, with regards to vocals.  I do like that Garth Brooks song he wrote. hehe Three Dog Night was also in that crowd and I like most of theirs at this point.  While I never disliked The Guess Who, I really didn't know a lot of their music outside of the big 3as a younger person but wow, they have some awesome songs that are incredibly diverse.  I was into the heavy 60's, early 70's stuff when I was in my teens (Doors were the gods of music for me at one point in high school but couldn't stand things like Crystal Ship and now I love that song.   So things change but damned if I'll EVER like Downtown or Midnight at the Oasis, for that fact, RR! lol  Nade

I have to think who ever assembles movie/TV soundtracks because I've found so many songs that I LOVE by watching something and researching who it was.  Never heard 5 O'clock World before Drew Carey show and think that's such a fun song! Smiley

BTW... I reduced Walk on the Wildside during the normal playlist when you first expressed your dislike, RR.  I understand why and agree but it's just one of those songs that I liked as a teen and realized what it was about much later but still liked it for the song itself and a lot of others do as well.  Surprise  What about the Kinks?  No complaint there?  Razz  I thought there was another you didn't like that I removed.  I did remove Gary Glitter long ago after his issues and getting over a dozen PMs on Live365 in protest of the song.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:58:34 PM by =[Nix]= » Logged

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2011, 10:19:46 AM »

I'll give Dylan the current deciding vote and say yes.. Smiley  no doubt that he's an acquired taste but probably one of the best song writers of all time.  I remember when I was younger I really didn't like him but I started listening to more and found a lot of other songs that the radio just didn't play, quite a few featured on here, that I just thought were great.  I believe what I have are on his multi-disc collections but still some good stuff from those that you don't hear typically.

Yes, Dylan's singing is an acquired taste, but not his song-writing.  More importantly, he is emblematic of the era - especially for anyone who was in college in that era, as I was (both before and after the Army).  My all-time favorite of his remains --

Nothing like good, rolling blues that carries you with it.

As one commenter put it --
I don't know exactly what it is -- and I can't explain it to people who -- don't "feel" his music. Either you get it or you don't. Mysterious.

I thought there was another you didn't like that I removed.
Don't remember - you may be thinking of someone else's version of Christmas (Baby Please Come Home), the Darlene Love/Phil Spector/Wall of Sound classic, that you originally played on The Sound of Christmas station.

-- RR
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:11:08 PM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Dill The Dog
Command Sgt. Major

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2011, 11:53:12 AM »

Hi Nix, with regards play list, I like some others I feel sure would like to find a few more to add, but would need to see the full play list to suggest any new songs, can we have access to the list ?

Regards
Dill   
 M16
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2011, 12:06:25 AM »

Yes, Dylan's singing is an acquired taste,

Razz

Radio Vietnam

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up