Radio Vietnam
November 21, 2017, 05:00:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Poll
Question: What do you want to see?
Want to see more Peace / Hippie Images? - 2 (7.7%)
Want to see more Army / Duty Images? - 8 (30.8%)
Want better community functions? - 2 (7.7%)
Find this site difficult to navigate? - 1 (3.8%)
Do you mind hearing music not strictly from the era? - 2 (7.7%)
Would you like some station merchandise ? - 3 (11.5%)
Do you want more Gamer (pc game) info and links? - 0 (0%)
Want more VET and POW.MIA news and info? - 5 (19.2%)
Want more AFVN and similar spoken word inserts between songs? - 3 (11.5%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you want to see?  (Read 8873 times)
triggerhippie
« on: January 29, 2006, 03:13:00 AM »

Hi all,

[NIX] and I were looking at redesigning the web site to better cater for you guys (and galls) and to "spruce it up" a bit. Now along with that we want to try and add functions etc that may be wanted by "the community" and get this place really vibrant using an open source CMS system called Joomla (if all goes well) which is an fork from the popular mambo system (php/mysql for those that know). So I have tried to come up with some questions on this poll to better guage the prefered changes / additions that you would like. if anything isn't here that you would like, just add that option in, others can vote on it, and [NIX] and I will do our best...

Please give us your feedback - your station needs you (man pointing finger)!

Triggerhippie x
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 05:45:00 AM »

IMHO, going beyond the music of the era will dilute the original appeal.  You can't be all things to all people and this is still a narrowcast for those who lived through or who have an historical interest in the period.  Don't compromise the concept. There are far too many generic rock stations which lend nothing to listener interest.  Be faithful to the original niche market.  Rat Patrol Radio and Weimar Rundfunk are excellent models.

BTW, speaking of entertainment of the era, here is a Philippine soul band (brothuhs and sistuhs) playing at the Americal Division (23rd Div) EM clubs.

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
triggerhippie
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:09:00 PM »

Appreciate your feedback RR, and taken on board, thanks will check those references out as well. Love that band and the name lol.
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »

RadioResearcher - 2006-01-29  2:45 PM

IMHO, going beyond the music of the era will dilute the original appeal.  You can't be all things to all people and this is still a narrowcast for those who lived through or who have an historical interest in the period.  Don't compromise the concept. There are far too many generic rock stations which lend nothing to listener interest.  Be faithful to the original niche market.  Rat Patrol Radio and Weimar Rundfunk are excellent models.

BTW, speaking of entertainment of the era, here is a Philippine soul band (brothuhs and sistuhs) playing at the Americal Division (23rd Div) EM clubs.

I agree bro. Smiley  I don't want to dilute the original appeal either and that's what the station has been about for 1 1/2 years....no fears. Smiley  The only thing that I've done in the past is do some "covers" of the originals and I may do that again because there are some great covers but it's still the same tunes just another era of artists (at times).  I do have stuff l

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 12:03:01 AM »

I agree with Radio researcher.   This Radio 360 thing is designed to accommodate niche players.  This is a niche market.  There are plenty of places to go to listen to oldies and classic rock.   I suppose you can always reach back, because I imagine that AFVN played music from the pre VN war period, but they didn't play Bruce Springsteen nor Brittney Speers.  Please don't go outside of the era and concept.

As for the other issues.  For obvious reasons I am not interested in any Hippie/Peace images or iconry.  I do find this web site difficult to navigate.  Merchandise?  Not sure.  What do you mean by community functions?  Picnic?  10K run?  Smiley)

I would definitely like to hear more "AFVN and similar spoken word inserts between songs".  I want this station to be evocative of the experience.  That is why I came, and why I am planning on hanging around
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 11:39:53 AM by Huyen » Logged
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 08:29:01 AM »

Nix --  The lady has spoken!  There are some real challenges here - but ain't it great to have an attentive audience that presents them so well?!

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 11:00:27 AM »

Well the AFVN clips are out there now. I  added about 10 new ones this past week that I've had sitting idle on my harddrive since late last year.  I have more to add and I'm kind of moving the normal rotation into having the bulk of AFVN clips, speeches and the Retrospective clips from Adrian Cronouer.  I'm looking around for some more speeches as well to mix in.

The late night weekends will continue with the movie clips and the weekends will probably have more of the Robin Williams clips since I'm still working on mixing the clips with the music it's not final but where I'm heading. Smiley

As for the players...I've tried the players and as far as what my tests were, it works on MusicMatch, WinAmp and Windows Media Player.  Live 365 handles all the legalities of the station in terms of paying out revenue, etc. to the blood sucking vultures known as the RIAA for a decent price.  I've looked around and the other sites that have similar abilities that use Shoutcast are a lot more than the $55 I pay a month now or you're left to fend for yourself against the mentioned vultures.  Frown

Nix

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »

Well the AFVN clips are out there now.   I'm looking around for some more speeches as well to mix in.

The late night weekends will continue with the movie clips and the weekends will probably have more of the Robin Williams

Nix

Outstanding.  I have been hearing them and liking what I hear.  Even heard Chris Noel.  Very nice. 

As for Robin Williams, I have mixed feelings about those clips.  Certainly he is very funny, however, Adrian Cronouer has said that his show segments in the film bear no resemblance to Cronouer's actual show in VN.  I don't want to be to picky, as this is supposed to be fun and I wasn't there to hear the real thing.  Just thought I would mention that.   I am happy either way. 

My two piasters
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: