Radio Vietnam
November 18, 2017, 02:15:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   forum home   Search Arcade Login Register Help  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Noel  (Read 23740 times)
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

"This is It" -- Alan Watts

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »

How about some Chris Noel sound checks - now that would be fine!  Available at: http://ansel.his.duq.edu/afvn/chris.html

RADIO RESEARCHER

SP4, 98C20 (Radio Traffic Analyst)
408th RR Det/Americal RR Co (Prov)
Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »

RadioResearcher - 2006-01-06  10:05 PM

How about some Chris Noel sound checks - now that would be fine!  Available at: http://ansel.his.duq.edu/afvn/chris.html

Nice idea... I'll see if I can break some things up from her broadcasts... Smiley

Thanks for the link.

=[Nix]=

tunnelratje
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 05:05:00 AM »

He that was a nice site plenty of usefull link to get more pics for my collection!!!!!

Chutes Open!
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 04:23:28 AM »

Still trying to find some non-RM format tracks... the last I heard were very bad tracks that I don't know that I could clean up enough to play on the station.  I'll take a look again. Smiley

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 09:09:29 AM »

Still trying to find some non-RM format tracks... the last I heard were very bad tracks that I don't know that I could clean up enough to play on the station.

The tracks at http://ansel.his.duq.edu/afvn/chris.html sound pretty good to me!  (--or maybe anything from Chris just sounds good to me!  Embarassed)

Remember, we of the era grew up on pops and crackles and less than pristine digital sound!  To use a retro buzzword - this makes it "authentic".

So the duq.edu tracks are not in a useable format?  Is there such a thing as a RAM to MP3 converter?  How about talking to Dennis Woytek, who seems to have done the restoration?  Maybe talk to Chris herself to see if she has another format?  I am doggedly determined to get Chris here, Nixie!  Let me know if I can help in officially repping the station to these folks.

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 03:47:37 PM »

Nix --

HO-HO-HO CHI MINH!  I just converted one of the duq.edu Chris Noel tracks from RAM to MP3 64 Kbps with my humble little Replay converter.  I am going to back channel it to you - so, no more excuses.  If you need more to choose from (say with VN dedication references), I can send them.  I am not sure what the limitations or rights on this kind of thing are under Live365 (you'll have to figure that out), but it was originally an AFRTS recording and seems to be in the public domain on duq.edu.  I don't see any copywriting on that link.  As a courtesy, I could contact Chris through her management company.  It might even be a nice touch to put a link to her site on this one and vice-versa.  It would make you even more "official" among the vet community.

-- RR
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 09:48:49 AM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 08:20:04 PM »

Nix --

HO-HO-HO CHI MINH!  I just converted one of the duq.edu Chris Noel tracks from RAM to MP3 64 Kbps with my humble little Replay converter.  I am going to back channel it to you - so, no more excuses.  If you need more to choose from (say with VN dedication references), I can send them.  I am not sure what the limitations or rights on this kind of thing are under Live365 (you'll have to figure that out), but it was originally an AFRTS recording and seems to be in the public domain on duq.edu.  I don't see any copywriting on that link.  As a courtesy, I could contact Chris through her management company.  It might even be a nice touch to put a link to her site on this one and vice-versa.  It would make you even more "official" among the vet community.

-- RR

That would be great to do! Smiley  I shouldn't have any limits on my e-mails in terms of the one you sent.  I'll figure out a place for you to upload it to. Smiley

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 08:19:33 AM »

Some Chris Noel and a wealth of AFVN stuff available here:

http://vietnam_war_sounds.tripod.com/listing.html

More Chris Here:

http://www.otrcat.com/afvn.htm

Don't know anything about the quality of the audio but I will try to find out more.

Earth Station One has a complete Dave Rabbit, A 68 Bob hope USO show, and some other stuff.  Didn't see any Chris Noel.

http://www.earthstation1.com

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 08:39:01 AM by Huyen » Logged
RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 07:29:02 AM »

Looks like there is plenty of Chris out there.  I know Nix doesn't necessarily like some of the soft pop of the era, but a lot of that was actually listened to and enjoyed by GIs - as a welcome relief from the harsh realities of the war and a reminder of home.  It wasn't all Doors tapes.  Besides, she plays a good variety of stuff you don't typically hear in most oldies/classic programming.

That would be great to do!

So, =Nix=, does that mean it would be okay to speak for the station to Chris about using her stuff, linking the sites, etc.?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 07:33:38 AM by RadioResearcher » Logged

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 10:36:43 AM »

Still trying to find some non-RM format tracks... the last I heard were very bad tracks that I don't know that I could clean up enough to play on the station.  I'll take a look again. Smiley

I know someone who has many of the AFVN discs from http://vietnam_war_sounds.tripod.com/listing.html.  He bought them a while ago intending to use them in a coffee shop setting but it never worked out.  They are stored and he says he has to dig them out, but has offered to loan them to me for use here.  He says the collection includes the Chris Noel disc, but he has not listened to most of the material and doesn't remember how good it is.  I don't know if the material needs any kind of restoration or not (The web site above might say, I have to look).  And I am certainly not in the position to do so, although now I wish I knew something about it.  When I get the discs I will listen and let you know how the quality is.  I also don't know the format.  MP3 or CD.  I am excited about hearing them. 

I don't know if the AFVN stuff is in the public domain and freely useable or not.  I will ask the copmany lawyer about this, but I doubt he will know anything.  it is always speculation when he ventures outside his area of the law.  In a few days I hope to have most of these discs in my possesion.  Is this something you can use?  I could burn them I think?  If it is something you could use here let me know and let me know how I can get the stuff to you. 

-H
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 11:49:51 PM »

Looks like there is plenty of Chris out there.  I know Nix doesn't necessarily like some of the soft pop of the era, but a lot of that was actually listened to and enjoyed by GIs - as a welcome relief from the harsh realities of the war and a reminder of home.  It wasn't all Doors tapes.  Besides, she plays a good variety of stuff you don't typically hear in most oldies/classic programming.

That would be great to do!

So, =Nix=, does that mean it would be okay to speak for the station to Chris about using her stuff, linking the sites, etc.?

Yes, absolutely you can represent the station in that sort of a request... You would be the perfect person to do so! Smiley

RadioResearcher
Vietnam Veteran
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »

Yes, absolutely you can represent the station in that sort of a request...

Okay, I'll keep you posted!   Smiley

RADIO RESEARCHER

Chu Lai, RVN, 1967-1968
Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 08:37:33 AM »

Is it just me?  But I seem to have noticed that you run more Chris Noel spots over night than during the day?  I seem to never hear her during the day, but hear her a few times when I overnight with the station on?  Just curious. 
=[Nix]=
DJ
Administrator
Colonel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 10:37:01 PM »

Actually for Friday I had the Chris Noel list going so it was only her all day and no other AFVN clips. Smiley  They are split fairly close to the same distance from each other through out the entire list.

Huyen
Radio Vietnam MVP
Lieutenant Colonel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 07:53:22 AM »

Actually for Friday I had the Chris Noel list going so it was only her all day and no other AFVN clips. Smiley  They are split fairly close to the same distance from each other through out the entire list.

Yes.  I noticed this.  I wrote my post in the morning after hearing her over night several times, then wished I hadn't written that after hearing her all day long  LOL
Radio Vietnam

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: